Shipping a car to Shantou from the United States.
Settling into a new country is a difficult task – even more so when you’ve got important cargo to worry about. And with complicated rules and regulations governing the importation process, it’s never easy to figure out what exactly needs to be done – until now. A-1 Auto Transport saves you time and energy by collecting the vital information you need, and streamlining the transportation process. Thanks to our decades of experience in shipping vehicles to China, the process has never been easier than with A-1.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Located on the eastern coast of the Guangdong province, Shantou is a major trade and industry city known for manufacturing garments, plastics, and more. Its port is located where the Rongjiang River flows into the South China Sea, and industry needs have ensured a strong railway connection leading further inland from the city.
List of Documents Needed.
Be sure to gather the following documents, which will need to be presented to customs officials at the time of the car’s arrival. Failure to obtain these may result in the vehicle being denied entry.
- The commercial invoice of the purchase value of the car.
- Proof of the age of the vehicle.
- A declaration of import cargo as well as a written application.
What you can do to Prepare.
You’ll need to take a few basic steps to physically prepare the car for shipping:
- Clean the car thoroughly, inside and out, to keep the inspection process moving along smoothly.
- Test and ensure that the foot and emergency brakes are in proper working condition.
- Take down removable exterior accessories. Anything fixed in place, such as the antenna, should be lowered instead.
- Leave a small amount of fuel in the tank (25% capacity is a good target), to allow movers to drive the car short distances as necessary.
- The car’s alarm system should be deactivated, to avoid unnecessary battery drainage.
- All personal belongings should be removed from the vehicle. Emergency tools, such as a jack or spare tire, can be left in place.
You’ll have a couple of choices in how your vehicle is transported. Both are reliable, though pricing may differ. Consider which option best fits your specific circumstances.
- In Roll-on/Roll-off (or Ro/Ro) shipping, the car is directly loaded on a carrier or a large ship. The straps then secure it in place and restrict any movement. Upon reaching the final destination, cars are simply driven right off the vessel.
- In container shipping, vehicles are loaded into 20- or 40-foot containers, and held in place securely by a system of straps. These containers are then loaded onto ships or other transport vessels. Though more expensive than Ro/Ro shipping, this method offers an additional layer of protection from weather and other damages, which may be appropriate for brand new cars or valuable antiques.
You’ll also need to select a method of pickup and delivery:
- With terminal-to-terminal shipping, you’ll drop your car at the shipping terminal nearest or otherwise most convenient to you. You’ll then have to collect it from the arrival terminal in Shantou.
- Door-to-door shipping allows your vehicle to be collected from your home and delivered at any location of your choice after arriving in Shantou.
Customs at Shantou.
As with any country, China has a complex system of customs rules and regulations that determine what the importation process will be like. Here are some important highlights:
- Please note that as of July 2010, foreign residents are no longer permitted to import used vehicles.
- Note also that Chinese customs laws require you to be onsite in China when the vehicle arrives.
- Cars are treated as a luxury good, and may potentially be subject to steep tariffs. The exact amount is calculated with respect to the vehicle’s engine displacement, and is rarely lower than 25% – though it could be substantially higher. Foreign companies and experts based in China may be exempt from this duty.
- Cars powered by diesel – with the exception of jeeps – are banned.
- Only cars with a left-hand drive are permitted entry into China.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?