The 5th largest city in Togo, Atakpamé sits in the Plateaux region and is an industrial center. It is located about 160 km from Lomé, the capital of Togo.
If you are moving here for any reason, it is essential to have your own means of transportation. Thus, it is best to import your vehicle when you move to Atakpamé.
Based in West Africa, it has the typical tropical climate and the economy is largely relying on agriculture. There is a lot to do and even more to see in the city but the truth is that public transport isn’t exactly regular. However, shipping to Togo is difficult. There are quite a lot of procedures to be handled upon importing the vehicle and when you work with A1 Auto Transport service, they handle all logistics and customs clearances.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
key Considerations for car import.
In order to get your car legally imported to Togo from USA, there are quite a few things that you would need to make sure that are taken care of. Some of them are:
- Importing left-hand drive cars is allowed.
- You have to fill an IE462 form.
- You have to get a letter of authority from the Bureau of Standards of South Africa.
- Proof of passport.
- You have to verify employment and length of employment.
- Second-hand cars, race-cars, vintage cars have to abide by particular regulations and rules and if they aren’t met you can be denied an import permit.
- You have to provide a copy of the registration.
- Proof of residency in Togo.
- Proof of study in Togo (if applicable).
The documents which are required are particularly extreme but you can obtain them rather easily if you take the matters carefully. You have to check with the Togo Revenue Authority just in case to make sure that there are no surprises and your documents are up to date.
All cars are subjected to approximately 53.5% import tax and duty based on the CIF value of the car. Diplomats may import a vehicle for free while employees of international organizations the duties are 3.12%.
Issues with public transportation.
The public transport in Togo, as mentioned above, is rather scarce. If you don’t have a personal vehicle traveling to the country is definitely going to be a problem. All of the roads are paved so traveling in this regard shouldn’t cause problems. However, they are also easily cracked and filled with water so you might want to keep an eye out for this.
Things to consider prior to the import.
Prior to importing your vehicle to Togo, you have to be on- site when it arrives and you have to choose between container shipping or RO/RO. Regardless of the shipping option you choose, you will still need to provide the documentation required in the list above.
There are only a few ports in the USA which would allow shipping to Africa so you would need to make sure you pick one of them carefully. Discuss the details with A1 Auto Transport service before kick-starting the process or contact the Togo Embassy in USA.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?