Auckland is a city in the North Island of New Zealand. It is most populous and largest urban area in the whole country. Very few cities worldwide have two different harbors on two different large water bodies; and Auckland is one of them. Manukau Harbor on the Tasman Sea and Waitemata Harbor on the Pacific Ocean are the two such harbors. Moreover Economist Intelligence Unit’s considers Auckland as 9th World’s most Livable cities in 2015. Thus, if you are moving here on a temporary basis or are a returning citizen or have a residency permit, you would like to import your car to Auckland when you move.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
The process of importing your vehicle into a new country can be complex and demanding; however with correct factual information by your side and with support of reputed auto transport agency, the process can be completed with ease. Any vehicle must have a certification provided by a NZTA-approved certifier with all legal requirements in order to import into NZ. This makes sure that vehicle meets/exceeds certain vehicle standards, in compliance with vehicle’s age and type. In order to get certification, a physical inspection will take place verifying number of things like (not limited to):
- Vehicle must have an accurately working odometer.
- Vehicle must meet the minimum frontal impact standard.
It’s the responsibility of the importer to obtain proof of the above mentioned certification before registering the vehicle. Visit website of New Zealand Transport Agency for more information. New Zealand is one of the few countries who do not impose tariff duties on vehicles of personal use. However Motorhomes are exception and charge 10% custom duty. For vehicles who cost more than $1000, there is a nominal import entry transaction fee of $29.26 and biosecurity system entry levy of $17.63.
Although NZ does charge Goods and Service Tax which is calculated on the basis of vehicle’s value as complied by the CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight) (subtracting any deductions for depreciation). Currently this tax is on a flat percentage of 15%. GST can be waived in case you are permanently moving to New Zealand and you have a proof of residence when you are importing your vehicle. Documents to verify residency include (not limited to):
- Current New Zealand residence permit or visa.
- Current returning residence permit or visa.
- NZ passport.
- Australian passport.
- Current NZ WORK visa or permit( can be issued for a minimum of 12 months).
- Current NZ VISITOR’S visa or permit (can be issued for a minimum of 3 years).
Once the vehicle enters Auckland, it will be immediately inspected by the MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries) for inspection and cleaning. Later it will be transferred to customs for clearance. Here you will be required to show documents like:
- Commercial Invoice (must show price paid and date of purchase)
- Certificate of Title.
- Bill of Lading.
- Current Registration.
- Freight Costs and Insurance Invoice.
- Odometer Reading.
In New Zealand, there are no tariffs, so the procedure of importing your vehicle costs less compared to other countries. You need to work with a reliable international shipping service, such as A1 Auto Transport service for smooth transit and delivery. Contact the New Zealand Embassy for more details.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?