Shipping a Car to Calgary from the United States.
Moving to Canada can be an exciting experience, but when you bring your vehicle with you it can add a layer of complications. Fortunately, the auto shipping experts at A-1 Auto Transport have decades of experience navigating the Canadian customs process. Rather than wade through a sea of jargon and legal forms, let us handle your move and take the stresses of international auto shipping off your back.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Calgary sits at the meeting point of the Bow and Elbow Rivers, in the western Canadian province of Alberta. One of the nation’s largest cities by population, it’s also host to many massive corporations and numerous expats – especially in the oil industry. Transport is served by the Canadian Pacific Rail and an array of national highways.
The documentation required of Canadian customs is actually rather straightforward, but be sure to bring along the following:
- The vehicle’s original title, or a copy certified by the DMV.
- A notarized copy of your passport or other photo identification.
Transportation to Calgary.
Take a look over the two options for style of shipping:
- Roll-on/roll-off shipping – The most economical method is simply driving the vehicle aboard a carrier vessel, and off again at the destination. Don’t worry – vehicles are secured in place with heavy-duty straps, making this a very safe choice.
- Container shipping – If your vehicle is particularly valuable – especially if it’s an antique – you might consider shipping it in a 20- or 40-foot cargo container. For a small additional cost, you’ll get an unparalleled level of protection.
There are multiple pickup and delivery options as well. Terminal-to-terminal service requires you to bring the vehicle to the point of departure, and to pick it up on arrival in Calgary.With door-to-door service, on the other hand, a shipper will come to your home or other location of your choice to collect the vehicle. It can then be delivered to the point of your choosing within Calgary.
How to Prepare the Vehicle for Shipping.
Following these steps will expedite the entire process:
- Dirty cars can get held up during inspection at the border, so be sure to wash and vacuum yours thoroughly.
- You’ll also want to remove all personal belongings from the vehicle and detach any external accessories like bike racks.
- Ensure that the battery is carrying a healthy charge, and that the alarm system is disabled to prevent it from draining during transit.
- Please leave roughly a quarter-tank of fuel in the vehicle, to assist shippers in moving it as necessary. Double-check for any fuel or other fluid leaks as well.
Canadian Customs lists a number of rules and regulations to follow when importing vehicles. Bear these in mind:
- The Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles lists vehicles that may be restricted access, due to specifications regarding emissions or other factors. Take a look at their website to determine whether your vehicle is acceptable.
- As dictated by the US Customs 72 Hour Export Law, a copy of the vehicle’s title must be submitted to the border crossing station at least 72 hours in advance of passage.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.