Information you should know before shipping your car to British Columbia
Shipping A Car To British Columbia
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Since British Columbia is so close to the U.S., especially on the West Coast, a car can be shipped for as a little as a few hundred dollars from that region.
- From the Midwest and East Coast, it costs slightly more, usually between $1,000 to $3,000.
There are a couple basic decisions you must come to when preparing to ship your vehicle to anywhere in the Canadian province of British Columbia. Since it is a province due north of the western coast of the United States, it is of course contiguous with the States, and can be reached by overland travel. Shipping by boat would be possible especially from the American west coast, since the west coast of B.C. faces the Pacific Ocean and in the north, the Gulf of Alaska, but shipping by truck may be your best bet from the U.S.
If you go the overland route, you must then decide if you want door-to-door service, meaning the transport company picks up your vehicle right at your home, and delivers it to a destination point address that you provide. Alternatives would be terminal-to-door or terminal-to-terminal, with the terminals being pickup and dropoff points convenient to your shipper, and you driving the vehicle to and from those points.
Your vehicle will be transported in one of two shipping methods: either on an enclosed truck, which protects it from any weather or possible flying debris, or on a multi-car carrier, which is more open, but much less expensive since the shipping cost would be shared by other vehicle owners.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
The cost of shipping/importing your vehicle will depend on some of those factors mentioned above, as well as a few others. For instance door-to-door service is more costly than terminal-to-terminal, since a transport truck is required to go directly to your residence. Transporting in an enclosed truck is also more costly than an open carrier. Beyond these factors, there are considerations such as gas mileage and fuel costs, customs taxes, the size and model of your vehicle (because it takes up space on a truck), and if shipping in an open truck, how many other vehicles are sharing the cost.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To British Columbia
- Vehicle import form
- Certificate or origin or title
- Original bill of sale
- Inspection report
- CBSA customs documentation
Other Requirements of Shipping
- At least 72 hours before you intend to ship, you must notify U.S. Customs and Border Protection, because you will have to clear through them before your vehicle can leave the country.
- Personal identity must be established, by means of a valid driver license
- Proof of ownership is necessary, and the best documentation for that would be the original title and the bill of sale for the vehicle. Any liens against the vehicle will require documented approval for export from the lienholder.
- If year of manufacture, make, and model are not listed on other forms of documentation you have, they must be provided, along with the vehicle VIN number (its unique serial number).
- The gas tank must be ¼ full, in the event that the car must be driven, especially on and off the truck.
- There can be no belongings in the vehicle whatsoever, other than required legal documentation (placed in the glovebox).
- There must be a single set of keys included with the vehicle so it can be operated as needed during shipping (keys placed in glovebox).
- The vehicle must be at least minimally operable, i.e. it must have four inflated tires, it must have a working emergency brake, and it must be steer-able.
- Vehicle should be inspected prior to shipping/exporting. If the intent is to leave the car in Canada permanently, Canadian Customs will apply an import tax on the vehicle which you must be prepared to pay prior to clearing customs.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!