Situated in the second largest urban region, Akureyri is a populated city and the fourth largest municipality. It is an important port and fishing center.
Whether you are moving here for employment opportunities or to study, on diplomatic duty or are a returning citizen, you would like to have your own personal vehicle to move around at your own pace.
To ensure that everything goes smoothly and there are no glitches which can delay the shipping, it is good to hire A1 Auto Transport service. We have over 20 years of experience in transporting vehicles all around the world and have a strong network of shipping agents globally. You will receive assistance from us while getting the documents ready and preparing the vehicle for export.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Auto import regulations.
For importing your car to Akureyri, you must own the car for a minimum of six months, before starting the shipping procedure, and must reside in Iceland for minimum 1 year, before you are allowed to bring in your personal vehicle. You will not have the opportunity to sell or put out the vehicle for hire once it reaches Iceland. You are only allowed to use it for your personal use. Additionally, you need to remember that there is 25% VAT on all imported vehicle apart from custom and excise taxes and a levy on recycling tires and battery.
On the other hand, if you plan to leave the country, make sure you have your car exported to the U.S. You have to show your visa and passport while importing the car. Moreover, you need to be physically present when the vehicle reaches Iceland’s port of Reykjavík. In case, you won’t be there, you will need to give the signed Power Of Attorney to the shipping service.
As with most imports, there are some important documents that you need to submit before the vehicle is cleared by U.S Customs and by the Iceland Directorate of Customs.
Some of those documents are:
- International car insurance.
- License of the driver, where you need both the U.S. license and the Iceland ones for verification purposes.
- Registration and title related documents.
- Certificate to declare the vehicle to be duty-free item (if eligible)
- Power of attorney (optional, if you cannot be there)
- Bill of sale.
- Work permit/ Residency Visa.
- Inventory sheet, dealing with details of the car along with other private items.
- Freight invoice and insurance.
For importing car to Akureyri, you must have your car registered in U.S or anywhere else from where you intend exporting it. You have to import the car within one month or even less of being in Akureyri or any other city in Iceland. In addition you must provide insurance documents when asked for.
Before the car leaves the port for departure.
Even before the car leaves the port in U.S., you must have detailed price quote with you. A1 Auto Transport service will offer the quote which will include the method of shipping, freight fees along with the transport fees, (if the company needs to transport the car to the exit port in USA). Now, the shipping cost is likely to vary, and it depends on the type of shipping, which you want for your car.
If you select air shipping, the cost is going to be very high but of you opt for RORO, the cost would be the lowest. Container shipping is expensive as compared to RORO but if you need to relocate with your household goods and have an expensive vehicle to transport, this is safer. There are some limitations with Roll-On/Roll-Off shipping which you need to follow. These include removing all personal belongings, air conditioning gas but leave 1/4th tank of fuel, so the car can be driven on and off the ship with ease.
To get more details, contact the Embassy of Iceland and they will update you on the latest changes in import laws.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory