Shipping a car to Wuhan from the United States.
Shipping a car to China involves more formalities than shipping other goods. A complex system of customs laws and policies means that you’ve got a lot to keep straight. Fortunately, A-1 Auto Transport provides customers with world-class shipping services and all the information required to navigate Chinese customs. Our decades of experience in shipping to Wuhan and various other destinations in China ensure that you won’t have to worry about a thing.
The capital of the Hubei province, Wuhan lies in the eastern region of the Jianghan Plain. As central China’s most populous city, and a primary rail and transportation hub, it’s earned its nickname as “the Chicago of China”. Numerous expressways provide additional routes between coastal ports and other inland cities.
The process of shipping vehicles into China entails the preparation of documentation to be presented to customs officials. Missing or invalid documents can hold up processing, so be sure to have these ready:
- A written application and declaration of import cargo.
- Original title of the vehicle.
- Invoice of the purchase value.
There are several checks you can make on your end prior to shipping, to ensure that the vehicle is ready.
- The car must be washed methodically, inside and out, so that it is ready for inspection.
- The fuel tank should be only 1/4 full at the time of shipping. This facilitates easy movement of the vehicle as required by the shipping crew.
- The brakes must be checked to ensure that they are in proper working condition.
- Empty the vehicle’s interior of personal belongings and other items.
- All accessories that are detachable must be taken down, and any fixed accessories (like antennae) should be lowered out of the way.
- Deactivate the vehicle’s alarms systems. This will preserve battery life.
Wuhan Shipping Options.
You’ve got your choice of both shipping and delivery options when sending vehicles to Wuhan:
- With door-to-door shipping, vehicles are collected from your home or other place of choice, and delivered to any destination within Wuhan. A small surcharge ensures maximum convenience for you.
- If you don’t require door-to-door service, terminal-to-terminal shipping may be preferable. You’ll be responsible for dropping the vehicle off at the port of departure and collecting it onsite in Wuhan.
You can also choose between methods of transport: roll-on/roll-off shipping and container shipping.
- Roll-on/roll-off shipping involves loading the car directly onto large ships, trains, or other carriers. Vehicles are secured in place to prevent damage. This method is economical, and a popular choice with most vehicle owners.
- In container shipping, vehicles are loaded into cargo containers before being placed on the carrier. Though this method is typically pricier, it’s suitable for shippers of antique or otherwise highly valued cars that require every bit of extra protection possible.
Wuhan’s Customs Laws.
There are various laws and regulations guiding the importation process in China. Here are a few things to be aware of:
- Important: please note that, effective July 2010, foreign nationals are not permitted to import used vehicles into China.
- Duty on vehicles can be rather high. Though the exact amount varies based on factors including engine displacement, expect to pay at least 25% of the vehicle’s value.
- Foreign companies in China, along with foreign experts, are often exempted from taxes on vehicular importation.
- You may only import left-hand drive vehicles.
- Diesel-fueled cars are banned from importation. Jeeps are the sole exception to this rule.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.