Shipping a car to Shanghai from the United States.
When you are planning to ship a car into Shanghai, the research required can be overwhelming. From complicated rules to indecipherable legal jargon, getting through customs is no simple task. A-1 Auto Transport saves your time and energy by tackling the regulations and providing you with the relevant information. With over two decades of international vehicle shipping experience, you can rest easy knowing that A-1 is on the case.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Shanghai is the world’s most populous city, and home to the busiest port on Earth. Located in the Yangtze River Delta in eastern China, it is a global center for trade and finance. An extensive network of roadways and railways penetrate further inland to China, making it a popular stopover destination for goods destined for the rest of the nation.
Methods of Shipping.
Vehicle exportation takes two primary forms – choose which is best for your situation:
- Container shipping – Motor vehicles can be strapped securely inside a shipping container, which provides excellent protection from the elements and from any potential collisions (rare as they are). These containers are then loaded aboard large ships or other carriers. Though the use of a container typically incurs an extra cost, it may be ideal for those with brand-new or otherwise highly valuable vehicles.
- Roll On/Roll Off shipping – In the Ro/Ro method, cars may be driven directly aboard the carrier and strapped in place – then driven off at the port of arrival. Efficient use of space and labor keeps the costs lower than container shipping.
Choose a method of pickup and delivery as well:
- Door-to-door shipping – As the name suggests, the shipper comes to your doorstep to collect the car. When it reaches Shanghai, the car can be delivered to you at the location of your choice.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping – You’ll to drive your car to a terminal nearest to you with this method. After it’s arrived in Shanghai, you’ll need to collect it in-person from the terminal.
Perform these quick checks to ensure a smooth transition before sending off your vehicle:
- The car must be washed inside as well as out, so that it is ready for inspection. Vehicles may be subject to long quarantine periods if they are not sufficiently decontaminated.
- To prevent battery drainage, car alarms should be disabled.
- Both the foot and e-brakes should be checked and confirmed to be in full functioning condition.
- The car must be empty of all personal belongings. The only permitted removable items in a car are the jack and spare tire.
- Ski racks, antennae, and any other detachable fixtures must be removed. If the antenna is not removable, it should be lowered.
- The fuel tank should be at roughly 25% capacity – this allows the vehicle to be driven very short distances as needed, without the considerable weight that a full tank would add.
Chinese customs regulations dictate that you must be present in the city to receive your car. You’ll need a small set of documentation as well:
- Import cargo declaration and a written application.
- Proof of age of the car.
- Proof of the commercial value of the car.
These are mandatory documents, without which the car will not be allowed entry into China.
You can brush up on Shanghai’s customs policies and regulations online. The highlights follow:
- Since 2010, China has begun banning the importation of used vehicles for personal use. New vehicles are still acceptable.
- The custom taxes are calculated on the basis of the engine displacement. The percentage rates are rarely lower than 25% – but can be considerably higher, as cars are considered a luxury good in China. Foreign companies established in China, as well as foreign experts, can import a car tax-free.
- With the exception of jeeps, diesel-fueled cars are banned in China
- Only left-hand drive vehicles are permitted in this country.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?