The largest city and capital of Hungary is a pivotal point of trade, politics, culture and industry in the nation. If you are moving to Budapest to continue education, a returning citizen or are on a work permit, it can be an asset to have your vehicle shipped in from US for faster and ease of commuting.
To start with, the import process can be simplified if you have the valid Hungarian Residence Permit or the vehicle is owned by someone who has the permit. It can expedite the process considerably. However U.S-made vehicles might need to be modified as EU requirements before it is shipped from US.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Additionally, it always helps to ensure that you work with a trusted shipping service and that is where A1 Auto Transport service can fulfill the requirements. We have been shipping vehicles to EU for years and understand all aspects of the rules and regulations of Hungary. There are other regulations specified by Hungarian law, which includes:
- Vehicles have to be less than 4 years old.
- Vehicle can be imported duty-free, if it is equipped with a catalytic converter. However, you need to have a valid Hungarian Residence Permit.
- Older than 4 years vehicles that are shipped will have to pass emission and environment test. The cost to get it done is put on your bill and clearance might need technical modifications.
- Only after the custom duties are paid that you can apply for a Hungarian Registration number and now you can drive through EU with ease.
As with international shipping, there are many documents that have to submitted when you expert your vehicle from US and when the vehicle enters the new port of destination. These documents include:
- Signed invoice of the vehicle.
- Proof of identification-passport, work/residence permit.
- Original registration papers and title deed of the car.
- Liability insurance to cover the Hungarian government and the shipping service.
- Bank guarantee (shipping service will assist in obtaining it)
- US driver’s license.
Before exporting the vehicle from USA, you or A1 Auto Transport service will need to notify the US Customs and Border Protection about your intent. As Hungary is a landlocked country, your vehicle will be shipped to a port in Croatia and then transported by land to Budapest. Border checks will be done at the check posts and that is why it is important to have a set of document copies in the car.
For a smooth import of the vehicle, adherence to all requirements is essential. You have the option of shipping your vehicle by RORO or container shipping. You can contact the Embassy of Hungary for the latest changes in the laws on vehicle imports.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory