Ahmedabad is the largest city in the State of Gujarat, India. The city has a population of close to 6 million people and lays on the beautiful banks of the River Sabarmati. When you decide to relocate to Ahmedabad either as a temporary business arrangement or a permanent home you may need to relocate your personal vehicle as well for the convenience of having your own car to drive. There are several regulations in India pertaining to motor vehicles that you will need to be aware of when importing your car to the city of Ahmedabad. For valuable information on the cost and ways to have your vehicle shipped internationally, you can read this article that provides valuable shipping information.
Motor Vehicle Regulations in Ahmedabad
When one ships their car to Ahmedabad you will need to abide by the regulations set forth by the Indian Government. The following regulations apply to all motor vehicles that are imported into Ahmedabad in Gujarat, India:
- Once your car arrives in Ahmedabad, you are required by Indian law to pick it up within 15 days if it is flown in and 30 days if it is shipped by sea
- Cars must be within four years old from the date of the import
- You must pay duty fees unless you have Diplomatic status and have had the fees exempted by the Indian Ministry of Affairs
- If your car is new, it must be imported only from the country of origin (If you have a car made in the U.S. it must ship from the U.S., if you have a Canadian made car it must ship from Canada)
- All imported cars must have the steering wheel on the right
You will also need to provide the following documents to customs agents:
- Original Bill of Sale
- Import License
- Car Insurance Policy valid in India
- Car Title and Registration (Must be in your name)
- Original Bill of Lading (BL)
- Duty Exemption Certificate if you have gotten one from the Indian Ministry of External Affairs. Only those with Diplomatic Status may have duty fee exemption
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Prior to Shipping
Anytime you plan to ship a car to Ahmedabad or any other city in India you need to make sure you get a full quote from the transport agent that details all totals for shipping. On the quote you need to make sure the port of origin (where your car is shipping from) and the destination of drop off in Ahmedabad will be. If you need to have the transport company or someone else drive your car from the port to your location in Ahmedabad for you, you will need to make sure they have a signed Power of Attorney form from you to do so. Note that when your car arrives in Ahmedabad you will have to physically be present for the customs clearance check. Once the car has cleared customs you can either drive it to your location or you may use a transport company to deliver it for you.
How to Ship and What Will it Cost?
Pricing on shipping your car to Ahmedabad will depend on several things. The type of shipping you choose, the distance from where your car is shipping from to the closest port of entry in Ahmedabad and the weight of your car will factor into the total price of shipping. You will also need to determine whether you will be driving the car to your location on your own or hiring the transporter or another company or individual to pick it up and drive for you. If you have the transport company deliver your car, the cost of delivery will be totaled into your final quote prior to shipping.
There are three ways to ship your car to Ahmedabad and you will have to determine which method is best for your car and your individual preference. The methods of shipping available are:
Ro-Ro Shipping is generally the choice made by most when shipping their vehicle to another country. With Ro-Ro Shipping, vehicles are driven directly on the carrier ship at the point of origin and driven off at the destination point. This is the most efficient way to ship internationally.
Container Shipping is exactly what the name says. Your vehicle will be shipped inside of a container on a carrier ship from the United States to the closest port to Ahmedabad. While Container Shipping is a bit more expensive than Ro-Ro Shipping due to paying the container fee, it is a great value when you want to ship other items with your vehicle.
Air shipping is by far the fastest way to have your car shipped to Ahmedabad. Your transporter can give full details of the cost of air service when you speak to them.
Before you ship your car to Ahmedabad you will need to fill out all of the necessary paperwork when you hire the transport company. For a complete list of all forms that will be needed, you can contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency and they can give you all of the information needed to locate forms that will need to be complete to have your car shipped.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory