Shipping A Car To Burundi
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- It’s not cheap to ship a vehicle to Burundi, not just because of the distance, but also because the country itself is not easily accessible.
- Car transport rates to the area start at $3,500 and go as high as $7,500, depending on the specifics of the shipment.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Burundi
|New York, NY to (New York port) to Bujumbura||$275||$4800||5+36 days|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Gitega||$350||$5700||5+46 days|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Bujumbura||$400||$4800||5+36 days|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Miyunga||$475||$5400||6+43 days|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Bujumbura||$550||$5800||6+47 days|
|Detroit, MI to (New York port) to Ngozi||$575||$4700||6+35 days|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Makamba||$700||$4800||6+36 days|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Bujumbura||$775||$5800||7+47 days|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Gitega||$800||$4700||6+35 days|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Ruyigi||$1,025||$5750||7+47 days|
- *Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
- *Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
- *Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
- *Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
- *Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
When you move to Burundi and need to have your own personal car with you, you will need to contact a shipping agent to transport it for you. In Burundi, less than 10% of the roads are paved, so having a 4-Wheel Drive vehicle is suggested for personal travel throughout the country.
Once you decide to ship your car, you’ll need to collect all of the necessary documents and fill out all of the required paperwork (see below) that Customs will require for shipping internationally. The shipping company will be able to let you know where the exit port nearest your location is and they will work with you to pick up and deliver the car if you aren’t able to transport it to the port yourself.
The shipper will also assist you with delivery once it reaches the entry port in Burundi. For importing personal cars, you can locate the paperwork to fill out for Customs by speaking to your shipping agent or by contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To Burundi
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Burundi
In order to bring your car to Burundi when you relocate to the country, there are several forms that will need to be presented to Customs to do so. Here are the required documents that you must have with you prior to shipping:
- Original Bill of Sale
- Original Vehicle Registration
- Original Title that shows the engine number, chassis number, cubic capacity, make, model and year manufactured
- Copy of Passport
- Bill of lading (and/or other transport documentation)
You will also need to pay a handling fee of 4% of the cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) fees as well as 17% transactional tax based on the total cost of the CIF. Prior to shipping, you will be required to provide the following information to the shipping agent:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Original Vehicle Title
- Signed affidavit of Power of Attorney if you will not be present at the exit port in the United States or at the entry port in Burundi
For more information on paperwork or documents that you may need, you can contact the Burundi Embassy in Washington, DC and they can direct you to customs regulations and paperwork that will be needed to bring your personal items or car into the country.
Prior to Shipping
Prior to shipping/exporting your car to Burundi you will need to speak to a shipping agent and confirm with them the way you want your car to be transported and if you will need any personal items shipped with the car. You will also be able to schedule pick-up and delivery if it is needed in the United States or in Burundi when the car arrives at the port.
Depending on the type of transport you choose for shipping, you may be asked to steam clean your car and clean out all personal items from inside the car, including the trunk. You may also have to remove exterior accessories that could potentially fall off or be damaged during the overseas journey.
The shipping agent will go over all of the pricing and will give you a complete quote. They will also explain how the type of shipping you choose is performed and the typical time frame that you can expect your car to be delivered in Burundi.
How to ship a car to Burundi
There are two main ways to ship a car to Burundi from the United States. These are Roll-On Roll-Off Shipping (Ro-Ro) and Container Shipping.
Ro-Ro Shipping - Ro-Ro Shipping is the least expensive and most preferred way to ship cars overseas. Ro-Ro is perfect for cars, trucks, SUV’s, buses and most forms of vehicle transportation. Your car will be driven up a ramp onto the ship and secured with braces or brackets and a wooden footing device to secure the car in place for the overseas trip.
Once your car reaches the port in Burundi, it can be driven right off the ship. With Ro-Ro Shipping you will need to remove all personal items from the car and have it cleaned prior to shipping/exporting.
Container Shipping - Container shipping is one of the oldest forms of shipping large freight overseas. While shipping in containers will cost more than Ro-Ro Shipping, it is beneficial to those who need to ship more than just their car. If you have personal items you can have them placed inside the container as well as inside of the car during transport.
You may want to note that Container Shipping can be slower than Ro-Ro Shipping due to it taking more time for customs to inspect and clear the freight. When using a container you will have peace of mind in knowing that your car and other personal belongings are secured inside of a locked container while being transported overseas.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Burundi
There are some elements to shipping heavy equipment and oversized cargo overseas that need proper consideration to ensure they are transported efficiently. At A1 Auto Transport we offer a variety of options to make the process seamless and get your cargo to Burundi, when it needs to be there. We offer a variety of solutions to a wide range of shipping needs and are confident that we have an avenue for you. From tractors, combines and farm equipment to cranes, large trucks and heavy vehicles, no task is too big!
A1 Auto Transport will help guide you through some of the obstacles of shipping heavy equipment and/or oversized cargo overseas. Complying not only with the U.S.’s export procedures but with Burundi’s import policies and regulations are paramount to successful transport. Every country is different and the process can be daunting, so we’d welcome a call to discuss your options.
Most Common Ways to Ship Heavy Equipment and Oversized Cargo
With A1 Auto Transport, you have a handful of international shipping options at your disposal. Below are some of the more common methods in transporting cargo overseas:
- The Lift On/Lift Off method of transport, otherwise known as the LoLo shipping method, requires the use of a crane to pick up and place your cargo on the boat. This shipping service is most commonly used for oversized cargo that’s been crated or for large inoperable vehicles.
- The Roll On/Roll Off method of transport, otherwise known as the RoRo shipping method, is the most cost effective option. This requires your vehicle to be operable and to use of a ramp to get on and off the cargo ship. It’s an ideal form of shipping for larger yet there is usually a 15ft height restriction.
- The Flat Rack shipping method is essentially an open top shipping container that does not contain walls. This method is particular useful for transporting large boats, pipes or machinery since they can be loaded from the top or the sides. Your cargo is then secured and subsequently placed on top of the cargo ship.
- Container shipping is the most secure shipping option and offers the most protection from the inclement weather. Consequently it usually is the most expensive option. If your cargo is able to fit inside a 40ft shipping container then you may be eligible for this option.
Related Information & FAQs
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.
🇧🇮 Burundi, (BI)
Our Services and Information
Car International Destinations
Car International FAQ
🇧🇮 Burundi, (BI)
Motorcycle International Destinations
🇧🇮 Burundi, (BI)
🇧🇮 Burundi, (BI)