Alexandria is the largest city on the Mediterranean Coast of Egypt. More than 80% of all imports and exports to and from Egypt pass through the sea ports in Alexandria. Shipping a car to Alexandria is a little different than shipping a car from one state to another in the U.S. You will need to find a respectable international auto shipping company to take care of all of your overseas shipping needs from the U.S. to Alexandria, Egypt. Once you hire the shipping company you will need to provide the agent at the company with your photo identification, social security number, car title, car insurance and a signed Power of Attorney form. You will also need to begin making preparations for customs procedures in Alexandria.
Import Regulations for Alexandria
Alexandria has the largest seaports in all of Egypt and when your car arrives you will have to go through customs to have your car cleared. Generally, it can take up to a week or longer to obtain clearance. You need to make sure that you have all of the paperwork required for customs so that your car clearance will not be delayed. Here is the usual paperwork that you will need for customs:
- Visa showing valid for a minimum of 3 months (if you are a foreigner)
- Original Seaway and Airway Bill
- Authorization letter that allows handling of the car. Letter must be issued in Alexandria
- Must have the key to the car
- Egyptian Diplomatic ID (If you are a Diplomat)
- Car Title that Shows you are the Owner
- Clearance Letter issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (For Diplomats only)
If you are a citizen who has returned to Alexandria you will need to show that your passport has been stamped for entry to Egypt within six months of the importation of the car. Taxes and duties must be paid on all cars, new or used. There are ways to have duty fees waived if you are a foreigner entering Alexandria. In order to have the duty fee waived you will need to prove that you either work for the Government sector or that you are a business owner. You will also need to sign a declaration stating that you agree to export the car back to the United States when you leave Alexandria.
If you would like more information on customs regulations or specific information on Alexandria you can contact the Embassy of Egypt in Washington, DC prior to relocating to the city.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Shipping and Associated Costs
While the cost of shipping can vary due to how you decide to ship, whether you will need delivery to the port, and even the weight of the car or whether you need to ship other things with the car, the methods of international shipping that you can choose from to ship to Alexandria will be the following:
This is the simplest and most preferred way for millions to ship cars throughout the world daily. It’s a simple process of driving a car onto the ship and driving the car off when it reaches port in Alexandria. It is necessary for the car to be empty before it can ship with Ro-Ro.
This is the second most used way to ship a car internationally. You can load your clothing, household accessories and much more inside of the container with your car when it is shipping this way. Containers make relocating to Alexandria a very easy process to undertake.
Customs officials recommend that when shipping a car to Alexandria that you ship it alone and not within the same unit as household goods. Having the car cleared can take several days longer than clearing household items and if you will need the items quickly it is best to ship them in a container of their own separate from the car when shipping internationally.
The U.S Customs and Border Protection Agency is a valuable resource of information when it comes to checking on laws for importing and exporting to and from the U.S. Representatives with U.S. Customs can direct you to specific information that you may need to be aware of when travelling throughout Alexandria and having your car and other personal belongings imported into the city.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory