Ship Your Car To Or From Abu Dhabi.
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The cost of shipping a to standard-sized car to Abu Dhabi from the United States ranges from $1,500 up to $7,000, depending on the type of vehicle and where in the U.S. it’s being shipped from.
- Larger cars, trucks, and SUVs will cost slightly more.) Customs are generally assessed at 4-5% of the value of the vehicle.
Exporting a vehicle to Abu Dhabi (or anywhere in the United Arab Emirates, for that matter) is no easy task and it’s important to understand the restrictions, limitations and required documents when doing so.
One of the main concerns when importing a car to Abu Dhabi is whether it can handle the extreme heat, with temperatures often exceeding 100 degrees during the summer months. The weather can wreak havoc on air conditioning systems and radiators, to the point that fire extinguishers are now required in vehicles in Abu Dhabi.
Car parts can be more difficult to find for less popular models as well. Toyotas are a popular make and easier to find parts for, but even then, you’ll have a hard time finding a mechanic to help you if you’re driving a manual transmission (stick shift) rather than an automatic. Cars with tinted windows may not be brought into Abu Dhabi and you may not import more than one car per year unless you have a commercial license to do so. Paperwork can also be a hassle, especially if you don’t have the assistance of an Arab to help you with the process.
Abu Dhabi uses street cameras to catch speeding motorists and you might not know you’ve been ticketed until well after the fact. It’s often not until you pay yearly registration fees that you find out you’ve been ticketed, which can cause confusion with unfamiliar drivers. You can use the Abu Dhabi police’s online portal to inquire about a ticket or fine.
See this map for locations of traffic cameras in Abu Dhabi.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Abu Dhabi.
Lacking or improper paperwork will most certainly cause a delay in retrieving your vehicle. Here are the essential documents that are required, though we highly recommend contacting the U.S. Embassy to ensure that everything is in order (see link below) before shipping/Exporting.
- Registration from country of origin.
- Vehicle purchase invoice.
- Proof of ownership.
- Residence permit.
- Valid insurance.
- Export certificate from country of origin.
- Customs declaration.
Auto Transport Methods For Abu Dhabi.
- RoRo (Roll on, Roll off) - RORO auto transport to Abu Dhabi is the most popular method of vehicle transport. The car must be operable since it is driven up a ramp onto a ship, which then travels to the local port for delivery. Vehicles are securely held in place during RoRo transport and then driven off the shipping vessel upon arrival. Items may not be stored in the vehicle when using roll-on/roll-off transport.
- Container Shipping - Containerized shipping is another option and it’s the best choice if you need goods or personal items shipped along with your vehicle. As with RORO, the vehicle is securely held in place during transit, but you are allowed to include other items in the container and often, in the car itself.
Abu Dhabi Auto Transport Resources.
Abu Dhabi Visitor Information - If you’re unfamiliar with the Persian Gulf or United Arab Emirates, it’s recommended that you familiarize yourself with the area before visiting and especially before shipping a car.
U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi - The Embassy of the U.S. in Abu Dhabi is the best resource you have at your disposal when traveling, visiting or exporting a car to the area.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.