Ship Your Car To Or From Austria
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Having a car shipped to Austria usually costs from $2,500 to $4,500 (from the United States). Only a portion of that falls under actual shipping costs since there are also marine insurance, duties, and import taxes involved.
- It’s important to note that vehicles imports are taxed based on their assessed value in Austria, so luxury cars are will have a higher duty.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Austria
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Vienna||$350||$3700||5+34 days|
|Boston, MA to (New York port) to Vienna||$400||$2600||5+21 days|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Vienna||$450||$3700||5+34 days|
|Phoenix, AZ to (California port) to Vienna||$550||$3700||6+34 days|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Vienna||$575||$2600||6+21 days|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Vienna||$675||$2600||6+21 days|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Vienna||$775||$3700||7+34 days|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Vienna||$800||$2600||6+21 days|
|Miami, FL to (New York port) to Vienna||$925||$2600||7+21 days|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Vienna||$1,025||$3700||7+34 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
When importing a car into Austria, there are a few guidelines that will need to be followed in order to ensure the legality and safety of the vehicle. It is necessary to look at the laws and regulations in place for importing vehicles for personal use.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Other Types Of Vehicles We Transport To Austria
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Austria
- Proof of insurance.
- Valid passport.
- Purchase invoice.
- Exit certificate.
- Local registration documents.
Within the European Union
When importing/exporting a car into Austria from another country associated with the European Union, you will not have to pay duties on that vehicle because the European Union acts as a customs community. You will need to purchase transfer license plates and a short-term insurance policy for the duration of your stay in Austria.
If you plan to live there permanently, you will need to comply with Austrian licensing laws. You will also need to produce the following documents:
- Proof of ownership and the bill of sale for your vehicle.
- All registration fees and the NOVA tax.
- A Certificate of Conformity that ensures the safety of the vehicle.
Outside the European Union
Austrian import/export regulations of vehicles from countries not affiliated with the EU are a little bit different. You will still need to produce documentation such as a proof of value for the car, a T1 consignment note, an import declaration, and in some cases, a proof of preferential origin to get a discounted customs rate.
However, in addition to the documents, you will also have to pay a duty in order to import it into Austria. A 10% duty on the value of the car, a 20% import turnover tax, and the standard consumption tax (NOVA) are all payable at the time of importation.
Note: For European countries not associated with the EU, the 10% value duty can be waived if preferential origin can be proven.
Specifics for Importing from the United States
In addition to the non-EU regulations, there are importation rules that are specific to the United States. For instance, before the car can be imported into Austria from the U.S., it will need to be converted to Austrian specifications. This process can be expensive and time-consuming. Austria has certain regulations for emissions, noise, lights, and other parts to the car that will need to be changed before moving the car from the U.S.
An additional road tax will also be administered depending on the amount of horsepower used by the vehicle. If it is less than 24 horsepower, though, the tax is exempt.
For more information regarding moving from the U.S. to Austria, please visit the Austrian Embassy website.
Shipping Of Heavy Equipment & Oversized Cargo To Austria
Need help shipping your oversized cargo to Austria? At A1 Auto Transport, we have the experience and access to state-of-the-art equipment to ship any type of heavy equipment overseas. Any cargo that cannot fit into a 40ft shipping container is usually considered oversized unless its weight surpasses its size greatly. Some examples of oversized cargo include…
- Farm Equipment
- Industrial Equipment
- Dump Trucks
- Large Trucks or Heavy Vehicles
- Engineering Equipment
- Agricultural Equipment and more…
Not only can we ensure a safe delivery, but we will make sure your cargo is approved for export and import. Complying with import policies is perhaps the most confusing and difficult part of the entire overseas shipping process, especially for those unfamiliar with foreign import laws. With our assistance everything will go along as planned without hindrance.
Overseas Shipping Options
There are several overseas shipping options depending on the heavy equipment or oversized cargo you’d like to have shipped over from the U.S. to Austria. Some of these options are less expensive than others. Below are the shipping options we offer to those transporting equipment overseas.
- Lift-On Lift-Off (LoLo) - This method of transport is mostly recommended to those shipping inoperable vehicles or crated heavy equipment. The oversized cargo is lifted with a crane and placed on the cargo ship. It is also removed from the ship in the same manner.
- Roll-On Roll-Off (RoRo) - This is the least expensive overseas transport method. However, not all seaports permit imports shipped with this method so ground transport might also be necessary. With this shipping service, the motorized vehicle or heavy equipment is rolled onto and off of the ship.
- Flat Rack - A flat rack is similar to the frame of a shipping container. However, the walls and ceiling are completely open and your equipment is secured to the rack itself. Since flat racks are typically the last to be loaded onto the ship, your equipment may be covered with shrink wrap for added protection from outside elements.
- Container Shipping - This method is not always an option. Most heavy equipment and oversized cargo won’t fit into a 40ft container. Nonetheless, if your equipment is considerably heavy despite its ability to fit into a 40ft container, than you can use this shipping method. With the four walls and ceiling barricading it, this method of transport protects your cargo more than the other shipping methods offered.
Related Information & FAQs
- What should I know before shipping a car to Austria?
- Import laws to follow when shipping a car from the US to Austria
- Ship your car from the US to Austria with an overseas shipping service
- Import vehicle into USA from Austria
- Austria container shipping
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.