Birmingham is one of the most populated cities after London. It is a major commercial hub, considered by Globalization and World Cities Research Network as a beta-world city.
Irrespective of the reasons for your extended stay in this city, if you intend importing your car from USA, it certainly does not have to be a complex procedure. As there are no language barriers and well-defined laws, information is clear and regulations adhered to.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Specific import laws of United Kingdom.
Your vehicle has to meet all of the required eligibility criteria as per the Road Vehicle Regulations 1986 and the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989. If the vehicle is being imported permanently, it is essential to meet all safety and environment regulations. You can get it done by getting more information under the Individual Vehicle Approval scheme.
As with any import, there are duties and taxes that have to be paid while there is VAT on the imported vehicles. However, exemptions on the taxes are available if your vehicle is eligible. The criteria include:
- Moving to UK permanently.
- Re-importing a vehicle exported from UK in the past.
- If you are a U.S citizen and don’t intend staying for more than 6 months in Birmingham.
However, if you are not eligible for any of these, you will be required to pay all the taxes and VAT when the vehicle is imported to UK. It is essential that the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are notified before the import by filing the “Notification of Vehicle Arrivals” form. After the process is completed, you will be required to pay the VAT. If you don’t pay VAT, there are additional penalties. Some of the important documents that you have to submit include:
- Title deed of the vehicle.
- Insurance certificate.
- Emission and other safety inspection certificates.
- Proof of ownership- passport, photo ID/driving license.
- Bill of Lading.
You are allowed to ship the vehicle from USA using RORO or container shipping. When you work with an experienced shipping service like A1 Auto Transport, they will be able to guide you best about the method of shipping to opt for.
Contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency as it is essential to have the “Vehicle Import Pack”. If you are shipping a vehicle that is older than 10 years, you might face issues as there are restrictions placed on it. After the vehicle has been imported, it is essential that you register and insure it as quickly as possible. Your vehicle might require to be transported to Birmingham from the port as you cannot drive it unless it is registered and insured. As you will be required to present the documents and receipts of the tax paid at the time of registration, keep them safe.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?