Shipping a Car to Toronto from the United States.
When moving from the United States to Canada, many people elect to bring their personal vehicle along, taking advantage of the similar road systems and vehicular regulations between the two nations. The importation of cars and other motor vehicles is governed by a set of rules, regulations, and taxes. Rather than wade through the minutia and legal jargon, let A-1 Auto Transport take the guesswork out of the process. With two decades of expertise and knowledge in auto importation services, A-1 is the leader in shipping to Toronto and beyond.
Here is everything you need to know about shipping your car from the United States to Toronto, Canada.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Toronto sits in the province of Ontario, close to the US’s northeast border. As Canada’s commercial capital and most populous city, Toronto is serviced by a well-developed road and rail system. The city is a major hub for continued transportation throughout much of Canada.
What are the shipping options available?
- Roll On/Roll Off Shipping (Ro/Ro): An affordable choice for most vehicles, this option involves driving directly aboard the truck, train or other shipping vessels, and off again at the destination. The car is held in place with strong straps during transit.
- Container Shipping: In this type of shipping, a one-vehicle or two-vehicle container is used for transportation. Your vehicle will be safely strapped down inside the container during transit. Though container shipping is more expensive than Ro/Ro, the added protection may be desired for antiques or otherwise highly valuable cars.
Consider as well which delivery option works best for you. With door-to-door service, the shipper will pick up and transport your car from your doorstep to the destination location of your choice. Terminal-to-terminal services are more affordable, but require you to drop the car off yourself at the nearest local shipping terminal and pick it up after arriving in Toronto.
What documents will be required?
Shipping routes from the US to Toronto are frequently traveled, and fortunately, the process has been considerably streamlined. You’ll only need a couple of simple documents to complete the process:
- The original title of the vehicle.
- Photo ID.
If you do not have the original vehicle title, a DMV-certified copy may be accepted. As per the US Customs 72 Hour Export Law, a copy of the title also needs to be sent to the border crossing your vehicle will be passing through, at least 72 hours in advance.
What are Canadian Customs requirements?
Save time and confusion at the border by ensuring that you can satisfy Canadian Customs regulations. Check out the list of specifics on the Canada Border Services Agency website. Also, view the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles for an overview of exactly which cars are admissible into Canada.
Is your vehicle ready for shipping? Make sure these steps have been followed:
- Expedite the inspection process by giving the car a good cleaning, inside and out.
- Remove all personal effects from the car.
- Ensure that the foot brake and e-brake are both fully functional.
- Remove or lower any antennae that may be extending from the vehicle.
- Fill the fuel tank roughly 25 percent full (any more is just unnecessary weight).
- Shut off the theft alarms to conserve battery life.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory