If you plan to come to Assab, you may want to bring your vehicle with you if you will be staying for a while. Because importing a vehicle can take a lot of time, you may want to hire a reliable transport company like A1 Auto Transport Service to assist you every step of the way.
They have over twenty years of outstanding customer service in auto transportation. You can call them for more information.
It’s not always easy to get around with public transportation while in Assab if you are not from there. Having your own vehicle is much safer. Before your vehicle ever touches land in Assab, you will need to make sure that all the rules and regulations are followed and you have submitted all the documents that are needed. A1 Auto Transport Service will help you determine what paperwork will be needed in order to get your vehicle shipped. You will need the following documents:
- Proof of employment.
- The title and registration of the vehicle you want to import.
- SABS authority letter given for importing vehicles with previous owners.
- Proof of African residency.
- Study visa or employment visa.
While in Eritrea, it’s important to note that there isn’t access to unleaded fuel so all catalytic converters will need to be removed from your vehicle before it can be shipped or as soon as it arrives in Assab. If your vehicle is more than ten years old, it cannot be imported into the country. Eritrea is currently working to increase the amount of import tax and duty charged for importing a vehicle from the United States or anywhere else. They will also be decreasing the tariff rates down to three. They will be lowering the maximum tariff of 200% down to 25% instead. Raw materials and capital goods will see an increase up to 5%. Excise taxes placed on luxury goods will completely go away. Custom duty on cars will go down to 25% if this new reform passes. It is currently at 200%.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Before you can take control of your vehicle, you will need to prove that you are who you say you are. That is why you need to have the documents listed above. Once you bring your car to your new residence, you will need to find a safe place to store it when you are not in it. Theft is a common crime in this area. Study up on all the traffic rules and regulations before you start driving. You can read more about driving in Eritrea to study up. When shipping your vehicle over, you will have two choices:
- Roll On/ Roll Off method – This is the more chosen method of shipping and it is also the most affordable. The vehicles are driven up on the ships deck by ramps. Once on the deck, they are fastened down inside of a bay. They will stay there until they reach the designated port. The amount you will pay for importing your vehicle will depend on where the car is parked on the ship. Your vehicle will need to be steam cleaned to avoid being quarantined. Once the vehicle reaches the port, it will be driven down the ramps and onto land. You will need to be there to pick up your vehicle once it arrives. If you are not able to pick up yourself, you will need to send someone who has the authorization to do it for you.
- Container shipping method is the second choice you will have in shipping. You will have the choice between a 20 feet or a 40-foot container. If you are transporting a luxury type vehicle to Eritrea, you will want to use container shipping. You will also be able to add personal belongings to your container with your vehicle to ship everything at once. This method of shipping is certainly more expensive however you can split the cost with another person as well.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?