Taxes & Duties When Shipping A Vehicle To Germany
Shipping A Car To Germany
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The typical shipping costs for a car from the U.S. to Germany are $1,800 to $3,900, with much of the cost depending on which part of the U.S. you’re shipping from.
- Both container and RORO shipping are generally available to Germany within the price range mentioned above.
It can be complicated to ship a vehicle internationally, but the import and export laws of Germany are more or less consistent with the United States, which makes the process a little easier than it would be from some other parts of the world. As a general rule, the duty on imported autos in Germany is 10% and there’s also a value added tax (VAT) of 20%. For motorcycles, the duty is usually between 6% and 8%. For more information about the value added tax in Germany, this resource has a good explanation.
*Note that the value added percentages on vehicle imports can fluctuate slightly depending on a number of factors.
Germany has strict environmental standards, which can cause an unexpected expense for people that are having a car shipped to the country. There are also restrictive environmental zones in the country, which require a sticker if you’re going to operate a vehicle in the area.
If you’re becoming a permanent resident of Germany and forfeiting residence in the U.S., you may be able to import a vehicle without paying duties. This is contingent on being a new resident and having been outside of the country for 12 months consecutively.
Something that shouldn’t be overlooked when transporting a vehicle to Germany is that many of the roads are smaller and narrower than in the U.S., which can make it difficult to navigate with the larger, wider vehicles that are more common in the States.
Popular Germany Shipping Destinations:
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Germany
The paperwork needed to ship a car to Germany is pretty standard as far as import and export laws for vehicles. Here’s what you’ll need to make sure everything goes smoothly when moving your car, truck or motorcycle to the country.
- Original title & registration
- Export permit (from U.S.)
- Proof of insurance
- Bill of lading
- German driver’s license
- Proof of ownership
- German registration (Anmeldebestatigung)
If you have questions about required forms or documents before shipping a car to Germany, your auto transport company should be able to explain the details and give you any assistance you might need along the way, including forms, documents, laws, duties, permits, licensing and taxation.
Germany Auto Transport Resources
U.S. Embassy In Germany – Information and resources for U.S. citizens in Germany, including citizenship, visas, security and general assistance with living in Germany for residents of the United States.
Getting Around In Germany – Learn the rules of the road for Germany, including right-of-way, licensing, legal and parking issues, traffic regulations and other resources for driving in the country.
Related Information & FAQs
- Hire an overseas transport company to ship your car from the USA to Germany
- Is the cost worth it to ship a car to Germany?
- Ship your military car to Germany through professionals and benefit from lower shipping costs
- The benefits of shipping a car to Germany through an international transport company
- What costs are associated with shipping a car to Germany from the United States?
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-518-8708 and speak to directly to our sales team!