Shipping a car to Phnom Penh from the United States.
International relocation is always a daunting process. If you’ve got a vehicle that needs to be shipped to Cambodia, the last thing you want on your mind is the minutia of arranging carriers, filling out forms, and scratching your head over complex tariff systems. A-1 Auto Transport takes the rules and regulations off your plate, making the process simple and stress-free. With over 25 years of experience shipping to Phnom Penh and beyond, let A-1 assist you in your next move.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Phnom Penh lies alongside the Tonlé Sap, Bassac, and Mekong rivers. This city is Cambodia’s capital, and the economic, political, and industrial center of the nation. The country’s primary freshwater port is located here, on the banks of the Mekong, which links to the open waters of the South China Sea. Rail service provides connections leading further inland.
Important: Note that foreigners are not permitted to import motor vehicles into Cambodia unless they have diplomatic status or are employed by an NGO.
Available Shipping Options.
Once you’ve made the decision to import, you’ll need to select a shipping option.
- Container Shipping – Generally the safest method of international shipping, the use of cargo containers provides considerable protection to vehicles. The cars are usually loaded inside a steel container, usually 20 or 40 feet in length, and then strapped in securely to avoid shifting.
- Roll-on/Roll-off – Vehicles are driven (or “rolled on”) to large ships or aircraft. Once aboard, they’re strapped down and secured to prevent unwanted movement. More space efficient and less labor-intensive than container shipping, this method tends to allow lower shipping costs.
There are two primary options for pickup and delivery of the vehicle as well. In door-to-door service, your car is collected directly from your doorstep and delivered to you at the location of your choosing within Cambodia. In the generally cheaper terminal-to-terminal service, you’ll drop the car off directly at a nearby shipping terminal and picked up at the port in Phnom Penh.
Whenever moving a vehicle internationally, custom officials will require certain paperwork. Be sure to bring:
- Certificate of Registration (engine and chassis numbers must be printed clearly).
- Bill of lading.
- A letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs verifying employment or diplomatic status (only applies if not a Cambodian national).
Without these documents, your car will not be allowed entry into Phnom Penh.
What types of vehicles can be imported?
Cambodia has several custom laws and limitations on the different types of vehicles that can be imported into the country. Ensure that your model meets regulations for entry into Cambodia.
Preparing your vehicle for shipping.
Ensure you’ve completed each item on this list before shipping:
- Wash your car thoroughly, and clean the inside as well. Excessive filth can lead to lengthy quarantine times when shipping internationally.
- Any detachable accessories – for instance, ski racks or antennae – should be removed for their own protection. If the antenna cannot be removed, lower it.
- The car alarms should be disabled to ensure that the battery doesn’t drain.
- Personal belongings must be removed from the vehicle.
- Do not fill the fuel tank fully, as this lends unnecessary weight to the vehicle. Leaving the tank at 25% capacity is generally sufficient.
- Check and ensure that the brakes are in proper working condition.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.