Harbin is the capital as well as the biggest city in the province of Heilongjiang in the People’s Republic of China. It is also the eighth largest city in the country and a very important cultural, economic, scientific as well as political center in the north-eastern parts of China.
If you plan on importing your vehicle to China, you need to know that the necessary research could be quite overwhelming. There are important rules to be adhered to and working with a reputable shipper like the A1 Auto Transport might actually be a very good idea. We have a lot of experience in shipping vehicles to China and this is definitely going to help you out significantly.
You can choose between two primary forms of vehicle transportation. They are:
- Container shipping – The car is going to be stored within an enclosed container. This provides excellent protection from the weather conditions and you can also ship a lot of personal belongings with it. These containers are large in size and cost more than other shipping methods. However, if you are driving an expensive vehicle, you may want to choose this option.
- Roll on/Roll off shipping – this method is quicker and cheaper but you don’t get that extra layer of protection and your vehicle is going to be exposed to the elements for the entire process.
You can also choose a method of the pickup as well as delivery:
- Door-to-door shipping – your vehicle is picked up from your home and delivered to a location of your choosing in Harbin.
- Terminal-to-terminal – this particular method means that you would have to drive to the terminal and pick your vehicle from the one in china.
Preparation for the shipping.
You need to make sure that you’ve completed all of the followings in order to ensure a smooth transportation:
- Steam clean the vehicle inside and out in order to avoid long quarantine periods.
- Disable the alarm in order to prevent battery drainage.
- Confirm that the e-brakes and the foot ones are operational
- Empty the vehicle from all personal belongings
- Remove all outdoor accessories as well
- Leave exactly ¼ fuel in the gas tank
If you are looking for an approximate cost of shipping to Harbin, it is about $2500 to $6, 000 which depends upon the cost of the vehicle and the methods of shipment that you select. In order to get your vehicle into China, you would have to submit quite a lot of documents to the Chinese Customs Authority, but some of the most important of them include:
- Import cargo.
- Proof of age of the vehicle.
- Proof of the value of the car as per current market conditions.
Regulations to adhere to
You can take a look at the policies of the customs online. However, the highlights of those policies are as follows:
- Ever since 2010, the county has banned the importation of cars for personal use unless they are brand new.
- The engine displacement is going to determine the import customs taxes. You shouldn’t expect them to be less than 25% of the CIF.
- Diesel-fueled vehicles, apart from jeeps are banned in the country.
- You can only import left-hand drive cars.
These are some of the key considerations that have to be catered to when you are planning to import a vehicle to china. Contact the Embassy of China in USA before you start the process.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.