- Car Shipping Azores Islands
- Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
- Required Documents For Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
- Methods to ship vehicles
Car Shipping Azores Islands
Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Costs for shipping a car to the Azores Islands fall around the same as they do for other parts of Western Europe; roughly $2,000 to $4,000, plus additional costs for taxes and duties.
One of the autonomous regions of Portugal, Azores Islands (Região Autónoma dos Açores), are a group of nine volcanic islands. Located in the Atlantic Ocean, 850 miles away from Portugal, these major islands include Graciosa, Terceira, Pico, São Jorge, and Faial in the middle; in the west are Corvo and Flores while the Formigas Reef is on the east.
If you are planning to move to the panoramic destination with lush palm trees, white sand beaches and mild tropical weather all through the year, you are in luck. Whether you are a diplomat, a returning citizen or on a work permit, importing your car can be a help so you don’t have to depend on public transportation.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
When you are planning to move your vehicle to Azores Islands, it is good to check with the Azores Embassy about the latest import regulations. As with any import, there are a host of documents to submit; procedures to complete and fees to pay. Here is a quick look at the required documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Vehicle purchase invoice- should be bought at least 6 months ago
- VAT NR
- Title deed
- Insurance on the vehicle
- Proof of address in the Azores
- Passport and visa of owner
- Approval from Direcçao Geral dos Impostos
- Valid driving license
The import duty rates on the vehicles are standard 16% based on the price of the vehicle and there are VAT charges which have to be paid. You are allowed to keep the US license plates for only 6 months and then have to get the local license plates from Direcção-Geral de Viação. They will check for road-worthiness and emissions tests. If there is anything amiss, you will need to get the modifications before the new Portuguese license plates. There are associated fees that have to be paid before the license plates are issued.
Methods to ship vehicles
The Azores Customs department requires several forms and processes to be completed and A1 Vehicle Transport Company can help. Budgeting for vehicle shipment requires consideration of not just customs charges and levies but also the mode of transportation chosen. There are two options for transporting your vehicle:
- Container shipping: You can ship your car and other belongings to the Azores Islands in a secure metal container that is either 20 feet or 40 feet long. After that cranes are used to put it onto the ship and seal it. At the final port of call the cargo is unloaded.
- Roll-on/Roll-Off: It is the most cost-effective option because you simply pay to leave your car on the ship deck. Vehicles are driven on board and secured in the bay using their own wheels. The vehicle is driven once more to the Azores Island port of final destination. Do not leave the vehicle unattended with the air conditioner on or any belongings inside.