Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Costs for shipping a car to the Azores Islands fall around the same as they do for other parts of Western Europe; roughly $2,000 to $4,000, plus additional costs for taxes and duties.
One of the autonomous regions of Portugal, Azores Islands (Região Autónoma dos Açores), are a group of nine volcanic islands. Located in the Atlantic Ocean, 850 miles away from Portugal, these major islands include Graciosa, Terceira, Pico, São Jorge, and Faial in the middle; in the west are Corvo and Flores while the Formigas Reef is on the east.
If you are planning to move to the panoramic destination with lush palm trees, white sand beaches and mild tropical weather all through the year, you are in luck. Whether you are a diplomat, a returning citizen or on a work permit, importing your car can be a help so you don’t have to depend on public transportation.
Popular Shipping Destinations
Required Documents For Shipping A Car To The Azores Islands
When you are planning to move your vehicle to Azores Islands, it is good to check with the Azores Embassy about the latest import regulations. As with any import, there are a host of documents to submit; procedures to complete and fees to pay. Here is a quick look at the required documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Vehicle purchase invoice- should be bought at least 6 months ago
- VAT NR
- Title deed
- Insurance on the vehicle
- Proof of address in the Azores
- Passport and visa of owner
- Approval from Direcçao Geral dos Impostos
- Valid driving license
The import duty rates on the vehicles are standard 16% based on the price of the vehicle and there are VAT charges which have to be paid. You are allowed to keep the US license plates for only 6 months and then have to get the local license plates from Direcção-Geral de Viação. They will check for road-worthiness and emissions tests. If there is anything amiss, you will need to get the modifications before the new Portuguese license plates. There are associated fees that have to be paid before the license plates are issued.
Methods to ship vehicles
There are many documents and procedures to complete for Azores Customs department where A1 Auto Transport Company can be of assistance. If you are looking to budget the shipping of your vehicle, you will need to decide not just the customs duties and levies but the method that you select for shipping will also make a difference. There are two ways to ship your car, namely:
- Container shipping: Your vehicle is put inside a solidly built metal container measuring 20 feet or 40 feet along with other household goods that you need to be moved to Azores Islands. Then it is sealed and loaded on the ship using cranes. It is offloaded at the destination port.
- Roll-on/Roll-Off: This is the cheapest way to ship as you only pay for parking your vehicle on the deck. The vehicle is driven on board using its own wheels and then secured in the bay. Then it is again driven off at the port of final destination in Azores Island. You are not allowed to leave any air conditioning gas, personal belongings inside the car.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.