Shipping A Car To Barbados
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- The cost of shipping a car to Barbados from the United States is typically between $1,500 and $3,000, though it can sometimes be done cheaper.
- Shipping from the Port of Miami is usually the least expensive way to go, especially if you’re using a shipping container to move your car.
Shipping/Exporting a car to Barbados can be costly due to the various taxes and duty charges that are determined by a vehicles age, power, and cost. If you a diplomat, importing a vehicle to Barbados is free and without restrictions.
If you are a returning national, importing a vehicle is free, but you will need specific approval from the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs, as well proof that you have owned the vehicle for three years and that you lived in Barbados for more than three years at any given point. More information on the returning national program will be listed below in the valuable resources section. Bridgetown is the major port and likely landing point for any vehicle shipped to Barbados. $1 USD is worth around 2 Barbados Dollars (BBD). Barbados is located in the Caribbean Islands, above South America.
Popular Shipping Destinations:
Expected Costs and Required Documents
Importing your vehicle to Barbados is subject to a few minor restrictions and it may be costly.
- A vehicle must be less than 4 years old
- A vehicle must have no more than 50,000 KM on the odometer
- You must be able to prove ownership of the vehicle
In addition to these restrictions, your vehicle is subject to high taxation and duties:
- The average import duty is around 45% on all vehicles
- If you are importing a used vehicle, there is a $4,000 environmental levy and $300 for a new vehicle
- There is a 17.5% value added tax
- A port FAS charge is also added to the cost of your importation
- An excise tax is added based on the engine capacity (1800cc for luxury), weight, and cost of the vehicle
- A luxury vehicle with an engine equal to or exceeding 1800cc and with a value above $45,000 is subject to a 120% excise tax
- If the weight does not surpass 5 tons and the value does not exceed $45,000, the excise tax will be around 62.77%
- If the weight does not exceed 5 tons, but the value of the vehicle is higher than $45,000, the excise tax will be around 80.16%
- If the vehicle is heavier than 5 tons, the excise tax is valued at 10%
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Barbados
Despite the various costs and restrictions, it is not hard to import a vehicle into Barbados. Your shipping/exporting company will take care of all of the necessary paperwork and they will coordinate with you to help you decide on the best date to ship your vehicle. When importing a vehicle to Barbados, you will need to provide the following:
- Import Permit (taken care of by your shipping company)
- Owner’s log book
- Proof of insurance
- Receipt / invoice for new vehicles
- Import License (taken care of by your shipping company)
- OBL (bill of lading)
We offer several shipping methods to Barbados, depending on your personal needs. At your convenience, we will help you decide on the best method of transport to Barbados. Listed below are the two most popular methods that we offer for international vehicle shipping.
Roll on, Roll off (RoRo)
The roll on, roll off method is one of the most popular. Your vehicle is driven onto the ship, securely held in place, delivered to the port of choice, and then driven off the ship. In order for this method to be viable, your vehicle must operable. If you elect to use this shipping method, you cannot store personal items in your vehicle.
If you are looking to ship personal belongings with your vehicle, this may be the best shipping method for you. Your vehicle and personal belongings will be securely held in place and stored in a shipping container.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!