Birgu is an old fortified city which is located on the south side of the Grand harbor in the South Eastern Region in Malta. The city is ideally located for safe anchorage and it has developed a long and prosperous history with mercantile, military as well as maritime activities.
If you are going to move here on a permanent basis as a returning citizen or for a shorter period in order to work or study you might want to consider importing your own vehicle. This is because the public transport isn’t as efficient and reliable. Driving in Malta is a breeze because the roads are in perfect condition. The tropical weather makes it a pleasure to sightsee all year round.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
It is highly advisable to work with a reliable shipping service such as the A1 Auto Transport in order to ensure a proper, hassle-free process without any unwanted delays and hidden fees. We also offer door-to-door and door-to-port services. Both are highly advantageous as you might not have the time to drive your own vehicle to the port and then pick it up. In any case, you would have to sign a power of attorney in order for us to handle the process and collect your vehicle from the port in Malta. The aforementioned services are charged additionally but they provide a lot of convenience and value. In any case, you would also need the following documentation:
- Insurance Policy.
- Driver’s License.
- Title and registration.
- Signed Power of Attorney.
- Social Security Card.
- Proof of purchase with details – engine and chassis number, model and make.
There are also other additional specifics that you would have to abide by and some of the conditions include:
- Owning the vehicle for at least 6 months prior to the export.
- Live in Malta for at least 6 months prior to the Import.
You have the choice of going for RORO or container shipping which is going to determine your overall budget. Expensive, collectible and luxury cars are better off in a 20ft or 40ft container as it’s going to provide them with enough protection. Aside from that, RORO is the cheaper and faster solution.
Exemptions on Custom Taxes.
There are certain exemptions on the custom duties and the related taxes that you could lift off if you are a returning citizen or a permanent resident who was living abroad and is now coming back. However, you would need to provide:
- Proof of insurance at the import time.
- Vehicle registration and a log of repairs.
- Arrange for an inspection with the Transport Agency of Malta
Only permanent imports are subjected to taxes while temporary ones aren’t. You have to fill out certain forms such as the VEH01, VEH02, VEH03 and the VEH04 in order to get an inspection appointment and you would get a letter of conformity afterward if you abide by the emission standards. For any further information, you could contact the Embassy of Malta in Washington, D.C.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory