Ship car to Bali: Terminology and Rates
Before deciding to ship car to Bali, it’s helpful to understand the shipping terminology and rates involved. Transporting rates depend on supply and demand. Some busy ports and rarely used routes may have sky high prices compared to others. Rates may vary according to season and inflate along with oil prices.
Who you Have to Pay for Your Transport
To ship car to Bali, you will have to pay:
- The auto transport company shipping your vehicle;
- The ocean rates, paid directly to your shipping line;
- The loading / unloading ports’ clearing and handling costs. These fees are paid to freight forwarders, to port authorities and to the shipping line as well.
Your auto transporter may include these taxes into their rates, so you’ll make a single payment to the company that will afterwards pay every other institution.
A container’s price is standard throughout the world. The price you pay is influenced by all the necessary operations to ship car to Bali. The closer you can bring your vehicle to the container, the cheaper its transport will be.
Car Transport Rates
Some companies may ask for specifications, like the vehicle’s age, its type, modifications, etc. before giving you a price. However, all this info is irrelevant and should not be discussed at all. Most likely, it will be used to increase the price of your shipment.
To determine transport costs, only the following information is necessary:
- Departure and destination ports;
- Oil price;
- Vehicle weight and size.
Transporting Cost Practicalities
Transport costs are normally quoted and calculated in United States Dollars. Import and destination charges gathered through the destination port are your responsibility, regardless of the initial quote. Remember, you may have to pay other costs when importing a vehicle for travel purposes. This is known as a temporary import for which different papers and procedures are necessary. When overlanding, do not pay any import duty.
Unlike airlines, you cannot use a search site to find transport companies, add data like departure and destination port, and date, then receive a list of transport companies and rates. To find an auto transport company to ship car to Bali, you must do it manually. You may be able to find a list timetable on certain auto transport’s contact pages where you can ask for an estimate.
Some freight forwarders and auto transport companies use unique terminology to give you their estimates. To compare companies, it’s necessary to get a breakdown of the quote to remove unneeded costs like container cleaning, stuffing charges, field supervision, etc.
Transport costs can belong to one of these categories:
- Departure port’s fees,
- Freight costs for the container’s transport,
- Destination port’s fees.
Common Transport Jargon:
- The large bulk is the ocean freight: this is the container’s actual price.
- Currency Adjustment Factor (CAF) - permits mid journey modifications of exchange rates.
- Bunker Adjustment Factor (BAF) - a charge in case of fluctuations in fuel price.
- Busy ports’ congestion charges.
- Fees for clearing customs - Fees required for preparing a temporary use import paper for the vehicle or to stamp your passage carnet.
- Terminal Handling Charges (THC) - Charges at destination and departure ports.
- Landing Bill fee known as BOL or B/L - an official document confirming you own the cargo and listing the delivery terms. This is the most important document you need to ship car to Bali. You cannot retrieve your vehicle without it.
- Wharfage - a fee paid for the period during which your container passes or sits on the wharf.
- Charges for Lashing - charges for lashing your vehicle to the floor of the container.
- Surcharges for security, peak season, etc.
How to Minimize Vehicle Transport Costs
A normal vehicle fits perfectly in a 20 feet container. Using a 40 feet container and sharing it with another vehicle owner may cut down on transport costs.
At the departure port, try to find out the shipping line and handling fees of the destination port. It’s best if you can get this in writing in case the shipping company asks for more than necessary.
Choose your shipping date according to seasonal demands. This may save you a few hundred dollars. Also, be flexible with your transport route. You may save quite a bit by shipping to one part of the continent instead of the other.
Finally, call various shipping companies and compare prices, but don’t rely on just quotes when choosing someone to ship car to Bali. If a company doesn’t seem trustworthy, there are dozens more to choose from.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.