Accra is the largest city of Ghana, and is situated along the present Ghanaian Atlantic coast. The city is extended along the northern regions of Ghana and was built as a port city.
There are plenty of reasons to move to Accra starting with a job, as a returning citizen or even for further studies but it is vital to import your vehicle while planning to move here.
You might have to select the right shipping procedure while importing your car to Ghana. The most cost effective option is Roll On/Roll-Off service, or RORO. You are charged for space, which your vehicle will use while shipping. Though the vehicle is exposed to varying climatic conditions, it is definitely cheaper to use this method. Other than spare keys, extra tire and floor mats, don’t leave anything in your vehicle when you ship using RORO and only leave ¼ tank fuel.
In case, you are shipping the vehicle using a container then your car will be put within a spacious 20 feet or 40 feet container. The container is uploaded on the ship using cranes and unloaded similarly. To ensure that the import is legal, you need to provide some valid information about your vehicle before shipping, model, make and year of the car. These statistics help in determining the dimension, as it is important for measuring the space on the ship especially, if you plan on shipping by RORO. In case, you have an expensive vehicle, you can always opt for some additional insurance. Let A1 Auto Transport service assist you with the nuances of car insurance.
Specific motor vehicle regulations in Ghana.
While shipping the vehicle to Accra, ensure that your vehicle isn’t very old as Ghana Customs officials will not allow any vehicle, which is more than ten years of age.
- The current S. Customs and Border Protection Agency needs documentation before starting the export process. For that, original sale bill is required.
- You need a clear title deed to show that your vehicle is free from lien. If there is a lien, you might have to get a notarized letter from the lienholder as authorization for shipping it abroad.
- Registration, driver license, passport and insurance proof are some of the extra documents, which you should provide, before transporting your vehicle to Ghana. These documents are mostly required for inspection and validating the legality of the import by Ghana Customs officials.
- The vehicle needs to be operational, so that, whenever the need arises, it can be driven off and on the ship. It must adhere to the standard emission levels, and has to be without any malfunction, as roadworthiness is tested.
- After your vehicle reaches the Ghana port in Accra, here is a port tax. This tax needs to be cleared before the vehicle gets the chance to clear customs.
However, the total cost of shipping to Ghana and the transit time depends on various factors, which A1 Auto Transport service will be able to help you with. When all documents and procedures are completed properly to the shipping service, the import of the vehicle is easier. To get more details on the current laws and regulations, contact the Embassy of Ghana.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.