Shipping a car to Nanjing from the United States.
For over two decades, A-1 Auto Transport has been helping people moving to China with their vehicle importation. We understand the complex regulations of Chinese customs – combined with our reliable shipping services, we’ll make the process extremely straightforward so that you can focus on the more important aspects of your move. Relieve your stress, and trust in A-1.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Situated in the Yangtze River Delta, Nanjing is the capital of the Jiangsu province. After Shanghai, this city is the largest commercial center in Eastern China. It’s home to the largest inland port in all of the country, and has easy access to major freeways and railways facilitating further overland transport.
Here are a few tips and checks to take care of before shipping:
- Do not ship with an empty fuel tank (or a full one, either). Filling it to roughly one-quarter of capacity will help with transportation while keeping the total weight down.
- Personal belongings should be removed. The only things that may be left in the car are the spare tire and jack (if applicable).
- The car must be washed both inside and outside, in order to pass inspection at the border.
- Care must be taken to ensure that the brakes are in proper working condition.
- Disabling the car alarm will prevent unnecessary battery drain, which can impair delivery.
- All detachable external fixtures (like bike or luggage racks) must be taken down.
Container shipping – In this mode, the car is loaded into cargo containers, which are in turn loaded aboard ships or trains. Heavy-duty straps restrict movement. This is a popular choice for antique vehicles, for which customers may wish to take every precaution possible.
Roll-on/Roll-off (Ro/Ro) shipping – Cars can instead be driven directly aboard the carrier, and strapped down securely in place. They are unloaded in much the same way upon arrival. This is generally a cheaper option than the use of a shipping container, and will be suitable for most people’s needs.
Door-to-door shipping – In this shipping method, the shipper comes to collect the car from your home at your convenience. Once the car reaches Nanjing, it is delivered to any location of your choice.
Terminal-to-terminal shipping – This method requires you to deliver your car at the terminal nearest you. You are then given the details of a particular terminal at Nanjing where you need to collect your car from. This method is less expensive compared to door-to-door method.
Please prepare the following items, to be presented on arrival in Nanjing:
- Original title of the vehicle.
- A written application and import cargo declaration.
- Invoice with the purchase value of the car.
If any of these items are missing or invalid, officials will not permit the car to enter the country.
Rules and Regulations.
Nanjing’s customs policies and regulations guide the importation process. Please note that foreigners are no longer permitted to bring used vehicles into China. Here are a few more important rules:
- All diesel-run vehicles are banned, with the exception of jeeps.
- Only left-hand drive vehicles may pass into China.
- Customs duty may vary considerably, depending on the specifications of the vehicle, but is usually rather steep. Expect to pay at least 25% of the vehicle’s value.
- If you’re a foreign expert residing in China, or represent a foreign company with locations in China, you may possibly be exempted from tariffs on vehicular importation.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?