The capital of Greece and one of the most important cities in Europe, Athens is a major hub of tourism, business, trade and art. Since 1981, Greece has remained a part of European Union. The country enjoys a unique culture and high living standards. Additionally, as an established economic center of Europe, employment benefits ensure that expatriates from world over call it home.
Although Athens has a wide network of public transport, commuting is easy, but having your own personal vehicle ensures faster commuting in the larger metropolitan area. If you are planning to move to Athens and need your own vehicle, shipping a car from USA will not be an issue as the port of Piraeus is the biggest passenger ports of Europe. With close proximity, transporting your vehicle is easy. However, it is important that all paperwork is in order before the shipping process starts. It is best to hire the services of international shipping services like us. At A-1 Auto Transport service we are experienced in shipping vehicles all over the world and ensure that customs are cleared and vehicle handed over to the owners.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Vehicle use for visitors.
Those on extended visit here can bring motorcycles, cars, and other recreational vehicles free of charge for 6 months from USA. You will not be able to sell your vehicle during this period or let anybody other than family members drive the same. As per law you need to show the tags of license plate, up-to-date registration, and insurance proof to officials upon entering any city in Greece. In case the tags and registration expire during your stay, you are needed to apply for temporary ones.
Rules for new citizens.
Those who move here permanently may import their vehicles without any duty as it is a part of household goods. You will have to show your residency permit when entering Athens. You can apply for permits from Greek consulate in USA, if you are of Greek descent, married to Greek citizen or have a permanent job work permit in Greece. In order to qualify for a tax-free status, you have to show at least two years’ permanent residence in another country. Other considerations include:
- Your vehicle must be purchased six months prior to import.
- New cars remain subject to VAT payments along with fees for license plate and registration, applicable for both used and new vehicles during entry.
- Those who bring cars duty-free Greece cannot sell it for a minimum period of one year after import or do so only after paying the necessary duties.
- W-2 form/IT return.
- Rent receipts/property tax.
- Past employment proof.
- Utility bills-cable, phone, gas, electric.
- Valid and expired passports of you and your family that need to resettle in Greece.
- Work permit/residency/Greek citizenship proof.
- Insurance proof, drivers license, vehicle registration.
ID Tax Card.
You should show AFM card to claim the vehicle in Athens. This card is must for bank account opening and tax payments as well. So apply for it as soon as you come here, just fill out the necessary form and submit your passport with a birth certificate copy at the tax office.
The vehicle has to undergo noise, emissions, and general inspection before it can be driven on the roads. Once this is complete just apply for a Greek license plate and registration. To know more about the current regulations, check with Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory