Almada is both a city and a municipality in the country of Portugal. It is located on the southern bank of the River Tagus. If you plan on moving to the city, you are certainly going to benefit from importing your vehicle.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Furthermore, if you are going there as a tourist, you would be able to use your vehicle for 180 days under these circumstances:
- It has to be registered in your name.
- Only you and your family are allowed to use it.
- You have a valid international driver’s license.
- You have a valid car insurance from the US.
Current import regulations.
There are a few different ways on importing a vehicle in the country. You can go ahead and check which method is mostly appropriate for you. You can choose between the Roll-on/Roll-Off method and the Container shipping one. It is always best to get your car previously cleaned prior to the shipping.
When you go for RORO shipping you have to drive your vehicle on its own wheels on a shipping deck at the freight ship. You also have to empty it out entirely and leave nothing but the car jack, floor mat, spare tire and a spare set of keys. When you go for container shipping, on the other hand, you can fill up the container with as many personal belongings as you want. You can also choose between a 20ft and a 40ft container based on your demands.
Even though you are not actually required to get your vehicle registered before 180 days of the import have passed, it’s always advisable to get a residency permit and prepare the documentation. The Portuguese authorities are going to require you to undergo an emission as well as a roadworthiness test and if you fail to pass them you would have to get your vehicle modified. You can also get this done prior to the import in order to spare some time. There are also taxes as well as fees which are due in payable by the Customs and Excise Department of the country.
Registering Your Vehicle.
Before you register your car in the country on a permanent basis, you would have to apply for a Residency card from the immigration authorities in Portugal.
An imported vehicle has to firmly conform to all of the road standards and to undergo a homologation process prior to the registration. The complexity of this particular process is usually going to vary depending on the condition, origin, make and age of the vehicle.
Furthermore, you would also have to get the license plates changed and get a new license from the country. You will need to pay the Vat if you import a vehicle from the USA but there is no VAT unless you sell the vehicle before 12 months have passed from the import. It is also essential to carry the so called All in One card throughout all times. You will need to fill out all of the documents in Portuguese before you are allocated with the card. If you have any further questions you can refer to the Embassy of Portugal in Washington, DC.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory