The most populous city and commercial capital of Ivory Coast, Abidjan is a highly urban and industrial city. Although it was the erstwhile capital of the country, most of the foreign embassies and headquarters of the leading companies remain here. Whether you are a returning citizen, on a work permit or moving due to personal reasons, having our personal vehicle here can be of help. With a fairly well-maintained road network, driving is easy and you can ship your vehicle from USA. Partially bordered by the panoramic Gulf of Guinea, you can opt for ocean bound freight shipping.
Important requirements for shipping car
To start with, it is essential that you hire the services of a reliable international shipping service like A1 Auto transport service. The benefits include complete understanding of the import laws and regulations and with a wide network of shipping agents; we can help you get the custom cleared faster. Additionally you can browse online at Customs department of Cote D'Ivoire to get the latest information regarding shipping cars. However, some of the essential paperwork and documents that need to be submitted include:
- Vehicle registration deed
- Insurance certificates and related documents
- Passport and driving license of owner
- Documents proving appraised value of the car
- Purchase vouchers and invoice
- Residence/work permit
Additionally, there are specific guidelines and criteria that need to be met and followed for the car to be successfully moved from USA to Abidjan. It is important to contact Embassy of Cote D'Ivoire to understand the regulations as shipment is only possible when all facets are met.
Methods of shipment
Usually, the two main methods of vehicle shipment on ocean bound freight shipping include RORO and enclosed container shipment. These are not as expensive as air shipping but equally reliable and insured.
- RORO: You will need to steam-clean the vehicle, empty it of all personal accessories and possessions. The air conditioning gas has to be removed before it is cleared for shipping. Only an extra set of keys, car jack, floor mats, ¼th tank of gas and spare tire are allowed. The car is driven on the deck and off the ship and secured on the deck during the transit, along with other vehicles.
- Enclosed container shipping: This is a more expensive method as your vehicle is put into a personalized container. These are 20 feet or 40 feet containers and apart from the car you can pack your household goods. Then it is sealed for transit. However, it is essential that you do not keep any item in it that is prohibited in West Africa.
As the Port will not hold any vehicle, you or an authorized representative will have to take the delivery of the vehicle. If you authorize A1 Auto Transport service, we will ensure that the process is completed by one of our licensed agents. To know more about the procedures and duties that have to be paid at the Customs, please contact the Embassy of Cote D'Ivoire.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.