Al Khums is a city and a port in Libya. It is the de jure capital of the District of Murqub on the coast of Mediterranean Sea. If you are an expatriate and you are in possession of a working permit or you are a returning national citizen you can take advantage of having your own personal car in Al Khums as you’d be able to stay independent and not rely on the public transport.
You have to be well aware of the regulations which govern the import process and that is why it is highly advisable that you use the services of a professional shipping agency like the A1 Auto Transport service. We have an extensive professional international shipping experience which is definitely going to help us provide you with a hassle-free process. We also have a network of representatives in other countries to facilitate the entire process.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Unlike the majority of countries, Libya has relatively lenient import laws but there are a lot of them and you have to take them into proper consideration. You might want to consider contacting the Libya Customs Department for any further information as they are going to provide you with relevant and updated details. In any case, you might want to prepare the following documentation:
- International Driver’s License.
- Title deed of the car.
- Insurance of the vehicle.
- Power of attorney if you are not present to get it yourself.
- Owner’s passport.
Requirements in Libya.
Just as the procedures on the side of the USA, you would have to prepare certain documents and to fill out paperwork when you are at the destination port in Libya. If you want to have the fullest information you might want to contact the Embassy of Libya. However, you would want to have prepared the following documents:
- Bill of Sale.
- Registration and Title.
- Ownership proof.
- Import permit from the local Government.
- Log book of your vehicle.
- Insurance certificate.
There are specific regulations that you’d have to adhere to. For instance, you can’t import a car which is over 5 years old. While the citizens of Libya who are returning to the country only need to pay 10% tax those from foreign nationalities have to deposit a refundable amount of 25% of the total value. This is going to be refunded once you leave the country.
There are different methods to shipping your car to Al Khums, there are two of them which are particularly convenient.
The first one is the RORO method which would require you to drive your car on its own wheels on a shipping deck where it would be securely fastened and transported to the receiving port. You won’t be allowed to carry anything with the vehicle but the car jacks, spare tire and the floor mats. However, this is the cheapest and fastest water-bound method.
The second option is Container shipping where you have the option to pick up a 20ft or 40ft container and ship your car with it. This is more expensive but you can get a lot of value if you have additional belongings to ship. You can also rest assured that the car would be well protected from the elements.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory