Aberdeen is the third most populous cities in Scotland. It is also one of the 32 local government council areas as well as the 37th most populous area in the UK. HSBC named the city to be the leading business hub as well as one of the super cities of the UK in terms of economy.
If you are moving to Aberdeen for work, study or personal reasons, it might be a good idea to have your own vehicle imported here. Prior to importing the vehicle into the city, you would need to be aware of the two major laws which govern this particular lawful area:
- Road Vehicle Regulations 1986
- Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
It is especially important that the car that you wish to import from the USA meets all of the environmental as well as the safety policies of the United Kingdom. As per the current lawful stipulations, the vehicle needs to be approved pursuant to the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme. You need to make sure that you have the relevant information because different duties and taxes are imposed through the different UK customs. The car taxes are based on the emissions and the size of the engine as well as the country of registration. There is also an additional Value Added Tax which is payable before the vehicle is shipped from the USA. Nevertheless, there are some exemptions so you need to see if you are placed in the following categories:
- If you are relocating to Edinburg permanently.
- If you are actually bringing back a car exported from Scotland.
- Temporarily import for less than 6 months for Non-European members.
Even though it is better and advisable to hire a reputable international shipping company such as the A1 Auto Transport service, it is recommended that you are aware that a VAT is payable. You can do that by filling in the details in order to see if you can qualify for the tax waivers at the HM Revenue and Customs. In addition, you can complete the vehicle Import Pack to ease up the procedures. This is especially recommended if you intend to bring in a car which is more than 10 years old. The UK and Scotland have certain limitations which are placed over the vehicles which are old and used.
Importing procedures and documents.
There are certain documents for exemptions such as the European Certificate of Conformity as well as a Certificate of Mutual Recognition, provided that the car is driven by hand. It is also important to inform the HM revenue and Customs when you import a car. If you are going to move to Glasgow, you would have to pay VAT if you are eligible for Residence Relief. This is required for cars imported from the US and other Non-European countries. Nevertheless, you would have to meet these conditions if:
- You are relocating to Scotland.
- You owned a vehicle for at least 6 months in the US.
- You intend to use the vehicle for not less than a year.
- You have bought the car and paid the taxes.
- You lived outside of the EU for at least a year.
In order to file the tax relief you would have to film a Form C104A and submit it to the Customs and Excise department. You are also going to have to submit proof of identity as an owner, policy of insurance and other documents in relation. It is advisable that you talk with the A1 Auto Transport service in order to pick up the most appropriate method to transport your vehicle to the city of Glasgow or to the Embassy of the UK.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?