Ship Car To Brussels
The capital of Belgium, Brussels is one of the cities and the largest municipalities of the greater Brussels-Capital Region, which includes Haren, Avenue Louise, Laeken, Neder-Over-Heembeek among others. An important city of not just Belgium but, is a bustling city and commercial and trading hub of European Union. Thus, whether you are moving on business or for any other reason, it always helps to have your own vehicle with you. However, if you are importing a vehicle from within EU, due to common trade agreements, it is less regulated and cheaper than importing your vehicle from USA.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Importing car from USA.
Belgium has stringent laws for importing cars and vehicles from any non-EU country including USA. However, it is not impossible just a little lengthier process as environmental clearances take a while. To start with, if you are importing your vehicle for personal use as part of the moving process, then it is considered as household good and you can save on VAT and other duties. However, you can only claim that the car is under household goods when you have:
- lived outside Belgium or EU for at least over a year before you seek permit to import your vehicle.
- The car has been purchased in US and used for a minimum of six months before you intend importing it.
- paid the VAT/equal amount of tax, before importing it to Brussels.
- intend using/keeping the car for a year after importing it to Brussels.
These are a few conditions you need to adhere to if you want to benefit from exemption of VAT and custom duties. You need to work with an experienced international shipping service such as A1 Auto Transport service and contact the Embassy of Belgium for more information. Apart from that Belgium has stringent documentation on all imported vehicles and you need to have these important documents:
- Bill of purchase of the vehicle.
- Title deed in owner’s name.
- Proof of VAT duties/other paid taxes.
- Letter for exemption of tax(s).
- Insurance certificate valid for six months before importing the car/vehicle.
- Passport of the owner.
- Proof of residency outside EU.
- Bill of Lading.
If your vehicle does not meet the exemption of import duty, you are liable to pay the requisite custom duties, levies and VAT depending upon the current value of the vehicle. After the car or vehicle has been imported, it needs to be registered locally in Brussels with the Belgian transport services and has to be done within the first six months. There are two methods of shipping your vehicle by sea to Brussels namely:
- RORO: Roll-on/Roll off method is the most common method used to transport your vehicle to Brussels. Your car has to have only an extra set of keys spare tire and jack. It is driven on the car deck and harnessed to limit movement during transit and driven off at Brussels.
- Enclosed container shipping: This is a more secure method of shipping cars and vehicles along with personal household goods. The car is put inside a shipping container and secured. Most of the containers are either 20 feet or 40 feet and are sealed at the US port and opened under the supervision of the owner at Brussels.