The capital of Belgium, Brussels is one of the cities and the largest municipalities of the greater Brussels-Capital Region, which includes Haren, Avenue Louise, Laeken, Neder-Over-Heembeek among others. An important city of not just Belgium but, is a bustling city and commercial and trading hub of European Union. Thus, whether you are moving on business or for any other reason, it always helps to have your own vehicle with you. However, if you are importing a vehicle from within EU, due to common trade agreements, it is less regulated and cheaper than importing your vehicle from USA.
Cost & Time Examples For Shipping a Car to Brussels
|Brussels to (California port) to San Jose, CA||$200||$3100||5+31 days|
|Las Vegas, NV to (California port) to Brussels||$450||$3100||5+31 days|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Brussels||$475||$3100||6+31 days|
|Brussels to (California port) to Seattle, WA||$550||$3100||6+31 days|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Brussels||$575||$2200||6+13 days|
|Chicago, IL to (New York port) to Brussels||$675||$2200||6+13 days|
|Brussels to (New York port) to Atlanta, GA||$700||$2200||6+13 days|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Brussels||$775||$3100||7+31 days|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Brussels||$800||$2200||6+13 days|
|Brussels to (New York port) to Houston, TX||$1,075||$2200||7+13 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and the type of vehicle.
*Save the ground transport cost by delivering the vehicle to the nearest port.
*Allow an additional 10 days to process the documents.
*Prices are for 1 car in a dedicated 20ft container. This is the safest and most reliable way to transport a vehicle internationally. Other items may be included in the container to help save you money when moving.
*Using the RoRo (roll on, roll off) method is less expensive and shipments can be completed in fewer days. Contact us now for a free RoRo quote.
Importing car from USA.
Belgium has stringent laws for importing cars and vehicles from any non-EU country including USA. However, it is not impossible just a little lengthier process as environmental clearances take a while. To start with, if you are importing your vehicle for personal use as part of the moving process, then it is considered as household good and you can save on VAT and other duties. However, you can only claim that the car is under household goods when you have:
- lived outside Belgium or EU for at least over a year before you seek permit to import your vehicle.
- The car has been purchased in US and used for a minimum of six months before you intend importing it.
- paid the VAT/equal amount of tax, before importing it to Brussels.
- intend using/keeping the car for a year after importing it to Brussels.
Requirements for Shipment
These are a few conditions you need to adhere to if you want to benefit from exemption of VAT and custom duties. You need to work with an experienced international shipping service such as A1 Auto Transport service and contact the Embassy of Belgium for more information. Apart from that Belgium has stringent documentation on all imported vehicles and you need to have these important documents:
- Bill of purchase of the vehicle.
- Title deed in owner’s name.
- Proof of VAT duties/other paid taxes.
- Letter for exemption of tax(s).
- Insurance certificate valid for six months before importing the car/vehicle.
- Passport of the owner.
- Proof of residency outside EU.
- Bill of Lading.
Duties and taxes
If your vehicle does not meet the exemption of import duty, you are liable to pay the requisite custom duties, levies and VAT depending upon the current value of the vehicle. After the car or vehicle has been imported, it needs to be registered locally in Brussels with the Belgian transport services and has to be done within the first six months. There are two methods of shipping your vehicle by sea to Brussels namely:
- RORO: Roll-on/Roll off method is the most common method used to transport your vehicle to Brussels. Your car has to have only an extra set of keys spare tire and jack. It is driven on the car deck and harnessed to limit movement during transit and driven off at Brussels.
- Enclosed container shipping: This is a more secure method of shipping cars and vehicles along with personal household goods. The car is put inside a shipping container and secured. Most of the containers are either 20 feet or 40 feet and are sealed at the US port and opened under the supervision of the owner at Brussels.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.