Benghazi is a prominent and second largest city in Libya. It is the largest city in Barqah region besides being the joint former capital of the country. The eastern part of Libya is the hub of transport activities besides being a prominent location on the coastal North road. The road network here is designed quite efficiently with underpasses, roads, and bridges covering the city. However, on certain stretches, you may also come across poor maintenance and traffic jams.
If you are planning to work in Libya/ stay on a temporary basis or are a returning citizen, it is important to have your own personal car. However, importing your car from U.S is possible, provided you understand all aspects of the regulations related to vehicle import to Libya. When you hire the services of an experienced global auto transport service, like A 1 Auto Transport, we ensure that all the paperwork is in order while the permits are attached, before the car is shipped from the U.S port.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Import laws in Libya are quite stringent. It is necessary to have the paperwork adhere to the policies at Libya custom department. You will require:
- Vehicle title.
- Driver’s license.
- Social Security number.
- Vehicle registration certificate.
- Original bill of purchase.
- Bill of Lading.
- Original registration and title.
- Passport, sales commercial bill.
- Import permit issued by External Affairs Ministry.
- Logbook and insurance policy.
- Company employment letter.
Besides these, you need to follow certain specific regulations associated with the import process. This includes driver’s license from USA, which is valid here but it is always better to have an internationally valid one. If you are, originally a Libyan citizen returning to Benghazi you will not be able to import any vehicle that is 5+ years old. Additionally, once the Libya Customs Department evaluates your vehicle you will have to pay 10% of the overall value as taxes. Foreigners need to pay 25% as fee deposit with application of temporary regime.
This is a refundable amount so you will get it back when you leave the country. You will need to get a Libyan insurance coverage for your vehicle as well as a temporary car plate.
Shipping your vehicle.
There are two shipping methods to choose from – Roll on/ Roll off and Container Shipping. If you are looking at an affordable option, opt for RORO. You will need to remove all accessories from the car and only floor mats, spare set of keys, spare tire and jack is allowed aboard. The car is secured on the deck and driven off the freight ship on arrival at the destined port of delivery.
However, if you are shipping an expensive vehicle, it is best to elect container shipping. The car or vehicle is secured within 20 feet or 40 feet containers, protecting it from elements of nature and accidental damage.
Before the actual shipping, it is better to sit down with us to determine shipping options along with the required documents. We have years of experience shipping cars globally and have a string network of shipping agents in Libya that can help smoothen out the formalities and ensure quick delivery in Benghazi. If you would like to get more information on importing vehicle s to Libya, browse more at Embassy of Libya.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?