What you should know about shipping your vehicle from the U.S. to Brazil
Shipping A Car To Brazil
Typical Shipping Prices – How Much Does It Cost?
- Transporting a standard sized vehicle to Brazil from the United States generally costs between $2,400 and $4,500 when done using a shipping container.
- Shipping containers can be used to ship other goods besides a vehicle and most containers can accommodate more than one car.
Brazil conducts a great deal of ocean-going commerce with the rest of the world, partly because it is enjoying a boom in its status as a manufacturing giant, and because its nearly 5,000 mile long eastern coastline provides numerous ports for that commerce. Obviously that means the country itself is very large, so the choice of a Brazilian destination port will be very important so as to avoid a long, arduous drive after arriving in the country.
Most vehicles shipped into Brazil will be shipped via the Roll-on/Roll-off ships, which are equipped with ramps so vehicles can be driven on and off under their own power. Older classic cars may not be fully functional and may require Lift-on/Lift-off transportation, wherein a crane would place the vehicle on and off the ship at port. A third alternative would be container shipping, which allows for a vehicle to be transported in an appropriately sized container that protects it during shipping, but it considerably more expensive.
Something else to consider when shipping/exporting your car to Brazil is the U.S. port of origin, from which the vehicle will be shipped. On the west coast, Oakland, Los Angeles, and Seattle are major port cities, and on the east coast, Norfolk, New York City, and Miami are very busy. On the Gulf of Mexico, Houston is a large commercial center for international shipping. This is important because your vehicle must somehow get to this port of origin so that it can be shipped.
Some transport companies offer door-to-terminal pickup service, which means they will pick up your vehicle right at your home and get it to the shipping point. This is a service which must be paid for however, and the alternative would be for you to drive the vehicle to the shipping port yourself.
The Brazilian government will allow anyone to ship/import a vehicle into the country, but it also requires that only new cars be allowed into the country. The exception to this is a car that is thirty years old or more, because it is considered to have classic or antique status. Another restriction is that all incoming vehicles must meet the country’s standards for safety and emission control. Your shipping company should be aware of these standards, or will be able to contact the Ministry of Transport in Brazil to learn about them.
You will also need an import authorization permit for the vehicle, and written approval from the department of environmental affairs. These must be presented at the port city by yourself or your shipping agent, or the vehicle may sit in port for a while.
- Belo Horizonte
- Distrito Federal e Enterno
- Porto Alegre
- Rio de Janeiro
- Sao Paulo
Required Documents For Shipping A Vehicle To Brazil
- Valid passport
- Bill of lading
- REDA-E form
- Notarized Brazilian tax card
- Proof of ownership
- Purchase invoice
- Notarized power of attorney
As in the case of the destination country, your shipping agent will probably be familiar with the U.S. requirements of international shipping, but you should confirm this.
- Documentation must be submitted to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency at least 72 hours before the vehicle is to be exported, although practically speaking you will want to allow more time than that, in case of any glitches.
- Ensure that your vehicle is eligible for international shipping, which means for instance that if there is a lien against it, you must have written approval from the lienholder to ship the vehicle out of the country. The exact laws governing eligibility are can be found in Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations.
- You’ll need copies of your driver’s license, passport, and some proof of ownership to present to Brazilian Customs.
Related Information & FAQs
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?
Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto TodayGet an Instant Free Quote Now
Or Call us today at 1-800-452-2880 and speak to directly to our sales team!