Importing Your Personal Vehicle to Antofagasta From The United States
Antofagasta is a beautiful port city in Northern Chile. When you move to Antofagasta and need to have your vehicle shipped, you have to hire a professional auto transporter that is able to ship internationally. Your transport agent will be a valuable resource of information when it comes to overseas shipping, export and import laws and paperwork that you will need. The agent will let you know what documents and preparations you will need to do to have your vehicle ready for shipping. The documents will usually include:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Vehicle Title and Registration
- Power of Attorney Statement (Signed)
- Vehicle Insurance Certificate
While International Vehicle Shipping Insurance is usually included in your shipping cost, you may need to check to ensure that it is. If it is not then you will need to acquire an international policy on your own. Your vehicle will need to be ready for the customs checkpoint when it reaches Antofagasta. Antofagasta customs agents will require a few important documents in order to clear the vehicle at the checkpoint. Some of those documents are:
- Certificate of Title and Registration – for both new or used vehicles
- Original Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
- Commercial Invoice or proof of purchase – only applies to new vehicles
- Declaration – for used vehicles; sworn notarized statement, list value and all technical items included on vehicle
- Insurance Certificate – Must state amount of premium paid
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Important Regulations to be aware of in Antofagasta
If you need to have your vehicle transported to your new home in Antofagasta you can arrange for that, but you need to know that the physical presence of the vehicle owner, including diplomats is required for customs clearance. If you are not originally from Chile you can only import a vehicle that is new. Foreign diplomats are exempt from paying duties and taxes on new vehicles. Chilean diplomats can no longer import a vehicle under their exemption status. Returning Chileans who have been out of the country for more than one year can import one new or used car or small truck but they will need to pay tax and duties. The weight of the vehicle must be on the Bill of Lading along with the vehicle description. An international driver’s license must be obtained in the United States prior to importation of vehicle to Antofagasta. All imported vehicles must pay 6% duty and taxes at19% of CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight)
How to Ship?
Having the paperwork filled out and all of your documents in hand and ready to go are very important during the shipping process, but you also need to know the types of shipping that you can choose to ship your vehicle. Antofagasta is a seaport city and you will most likely want to ship by sea. Here are the types of shipping available for Antofagasta:
Roll-On Roll-Off (Ro-Ro) – Ro-Ro is the simplest way to ship a vehicle internationally. Your car will be cleaned out and then loaded aboard the cargo ship in the U.S. and shipped directly to the entry port of Antofagasta. Once it arrives you will be able to drive the vehicle through the customs inspection and be on your way quickly.
Container Shipping– Your car is still shipped on the sea, but unlike with Ro-Ro shipping you will be able to load personal items inside of your car or the container to ship as well.
International Air Shipping– When you ship by air your vehicle will be able to be flown in much faster than when you ship by cargo ship on the sea. When shipping by air to Antofagasta your car would be flown into the Cerro Moreno International Airport and would proceed through customs clearance once unloaded.
The cost of shipping depends on several factors including the distance from port to port, the weight of your vehicle and any delivery options that will be decided upon making the shipping order.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory