Ship Car To Bogota
Bogota is the Capital of Columbia. With a population of nearly 7 million residents, it is one of the largest cities in Latin America. Filled with Universities, museums, theaters and outdoor activities it is a beautiful city to call home. If you are a Diplomat and need your car shipped to Bogota, Columbia, there are several things that you will need to do to prepare the vehicle for shipment. The first thing you will need to do is hire a reputable auto transport company to take care of the shipping for you. You will also need to know where the major shipping ports to ship from the United States are located. These ports are as follows:
- Oakland, California
- Seattle, Washington
- Houston, Texas
- Savannah, Georgia
- Charleston, South Carolina
- New York/New Jersey
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Requirements to Ship a Vehicle to Bogota, Columbia
If you will not be able to drive your car to the exit port on your own, you will need to make arrangements with the auto transport company to have your car transported to the port nearest your location for shipping to Bogota. You will also need to provide the auto transporter with some required documents prior to shipping. The main documents are:
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Number
- Vehicle Title
- Certificate of Insurance
- Signed Power of Attorney in the event that you will need pick-up or delivery to or from the exit or entry ports\
Your auto transport agent will make shipping a car to Bogota seem like a breeze as they have all of the vital information that you will need to have your vehicle cleared through Customs as well as assisting you with transporting the car to the exit port or to your location in Bogota.
Only Diplomats are allowed to import used vehicles to Bogota, Columbia. Non Diplomats may import new cars as long as the car is one year old or less and has a total mileage of zero. If you’re a Diplomat you need to make sure that you abide by the Customs regulations of Columbia when preparing to ship the vehicle. You will need the following documents to be able to have your vehicle cleared through customs in Columbia:
- Passport that includes a Visa for a period of one year
- Emissions Certificate that is resigned to the owners’ name and will be notarized when the vehicle arrives at the Columbian port or airport.
- Import permit that has been approved by Customs before shipping into Columbia
- Identification Card if you are a returning citizen
- Original Vehicle Title and Registration
- Original Bill of Sale or Commercial Invoice that includes the make, model and VIN of the vehicle
- Airway Bill and Bill of Lading
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
You will also need to provide the following to verify Diplomat status to import the car:
- Registration document originated by the Foreign Ministry
- Diplomatic Permit presented by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Import permit obtained from the Incomex Institute. Once the permit has been approved the Department of Environment will issue a Quality Certificate for the vehicle.
Note that Foreign Diplomats do not need to receive approval of an Import License before shipping. Diplomats who are returning to Bogota will need to apply in person for a Diplomat Permit and will be liable to pay an IVA tax ranging from 15% to 45% on the Cost, Insurance and Freight value that is based on the Engine capacity. Foreign Diplomats are not required to pay duty and taxes on importing a car. To ship any household goods when shipping the vehicle, prior approval must be acquired from the customs agency.
Due to the fact that Bogota, Columbia does not sit on the coastline, the best way to have your vehicle shipped will be by Air Cargo to the Eldorado Airport in Bogota. Shipping by air is the fastest route to having a vehicle or household goods shipped internationally. You can also opt to use sea shipping in which case your vehicle would be shipped to the Buenaventura Port (COBUN) in Valle del Cauca, Columbia. From that port of entry, you can choose to have the vehicle transported either by river to the Yumbo River Port entering into Bogota or you can pick the car up at the Buenaventura Port and drive it into Bogota. You can choose Ro-Ro or Container Shipping to have your vehicle transported overseas by a freight ship.
Your auto transport agent will go over all of the shipping details with you to let you know what preparations you need to do concerning your vehicle, the cost of shipping and also customs information that will be necessary prior to shipping. You can also contact the Embassy of Columbia in Washington, DC for further information.