The most populated city in Flanders Antwerp is one of the most important cities in Belgium. Located on the River Scheldt, the city is connected to the Westerschelde estuary that falls into the North Sea. That is one of the reasons that the Port of Antwerp is the second largest port in Europe.
Irrespective of the reason for your relocation to Antwerp, it is beneficial to be independent and have your own vehicle to travel on business or leisure. However, even though it is a little more expensive to import your vehicle from USA as compared to another EU country. When you work with a reliable and experienced international shipping service, they take care of all procedures and requirements.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Laws in Belgium on vehicle import.
When you import a vehicle from USA, the procedure gets a little longer as non-EU countries come under a different set of laws. The environmental clearances are more and you might even need to get the vehicle modified before you ship it out so that it meets the criteria. However, there are provisions where you can be exempted from import duties and VAT if you ship the vehicle along with other household belongings as part of the relocation. This can only be claimed when:
- It is a U.S manufactured vehicle and has been bought in USA. You need to have owned it in US for at least six months before moving to Belgium.
- You have been living in USA or any other country outside Belgium for at least 1 year before you import the vehicle.
- You have already paid an equivalent tax or VAT before the import.
- You don’t plan to sell the vehicle but will use the vehicle in Antwerp for a minimum of 12 months, after the import.
When you work with A1 Auto Transport service, we take care of all the eligibility criteria for tax exemptions to ensure that your vehicle relocation is cost effective. To get more details on the vehicle shipping, you can call in at the Embassy of Belgium.
Additionally, it is essential that you put together all of the required documents so that the Belgian Custom clearances go through smoothly. These are:
- Tax exemption letter.
- Vehicle purchase invoice.
- Lien-free title deed.
- VAT and tax receipts.
- Proof of residency in USA.
- Valid insurance certificate.
- Bill of Lading.
- Ownership proof.
In case you are not eligible for any tax exemptions, you are liable to pay all the duties and taxes as per standard regulations. These are evaluated on the basis of the current value or price of the vehicle. When you import the vehicle, it has to be registered in Antwerp within the initial six months at the Federal Public Service Mobility and Transport.
When you are calculating the cost, you need to factor in the method of transportation which includes:
- RORO: Roll-on/Roll-Off is the cheapest available way of freight shipping to ship your vehicle to Antwerp. You cannot keep any personal belongings inside the car, but only the floor mats, spare tire and keys need to be there.
- Closed container: This is a more expensive way to ship, but it offers higher protection to the vehicle. You are allowed to ship your personal items and household goods along with the vehicle in a 20 feet or 40 feet container. It is only opened under the owner’s supervision.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?