Learn if It Is Too Difficult to Ship a Car to Australia from America
The process of shipping a car to another country, especially to a nation across the ocean, is one that should be handled by professionals. Anyone unfamiliar with foreign import policy or without the right transport equipment would find it impossible to ship a car to Australia from America. Luckily, it’s easy to find a transporter with the proper qualifications and experience.
Search the Internet for the most reputable and dependable shipping services near your home in the U.S. Make sure they offer international transport and that they have the dates you need available. Ask about their services, insurance plan, and see if you can get a free quote. Compare several companies before you hire one to ship your car to Australia.
What Is Needed for the Car to Be Imported Lawfully?
Getting a car into Australia is a little tricky, but it can be done. The country has some strict regulations when it comes to vehicle import. It all depends on what kind of vehicle you are having shipped over. You can call the Embassy of Australia for current import regulations.
- You must have owned the car for at least 12 months before the transport date.
- All tariffs and duties must be paid in full.
- You must prove long-standing residency in Australia.
- An application to the PIA should be submitted within your first 6 months of being in the country.
- Must be old enough to obtain a driver’s license in Australia.
- Have all documents and proof requested ready to present to Customs. This is how you gain import approval for the car.
- Prepare the car. Clean the inside and outside. Fill all fluids but the fuel. Take pictures of the entire car.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.