The capital of Australia is Canberra and has a population of over 380,000 people and is the largest inland city located in Australia. Canberra is found at the north end of the Australian Capital Territory, or ACT and is 280 km southeast of Sydney and 660 km northeast of Melbourne.
If you want to ship your vehicle to Canberra, you will need to work with a reputable shipping company like A1 Auto Transport Service because the rules and regulations of shipping a vehicle to Canberra can be very difficult and therefore, a shipping service with a good reputation can make the process hassle free and avoid delays.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How to bring a Car to Canberra.
You will need to prepare your vehicle for the importing process, including gathering up all the necessary paperwork that will be required. You will first need to obtain an import permit from the Infrastructure and Regional Development Department. This process is all regulated and is handled through the Registered Automotive Workshop member that is familiar with these sets of rules and requirements. You can find out other rules and regulations that are associated with importing by contacting the Customs Authority of Australian. Here are just a few steps you will need to take to import to Canberra.
- File an Import Declaration once you arrive.
- Need to pay all taxes and duties.
- Have all modifications done or installed if required.
- Apply for a license plate and register your vehicle in Canberra.
- Vehicle must be a left-handed or must be older than the year 1989.
Duties and tariffs.
It is important to note that there are plenty of taxes and duties that have to be paid, as applicable. This will ensure you are bringing the vehicle to Australia legally. Some of the taxes include:
- Any vehicle up to 30 years old will be charged 5% duty and 10% GST
- Any vehicle over 30 years old and motorcycles will be charged no duty but 10% GST
- Duty is determined by customs value or CV.
- GST is determined by taking the customs value and adding the shipping cost and any duties owed.
- A luxury car tax or LCT is 33% and is added on to the value over 32,500 only.
Preparing your vehicle.
Before you can ship your vehicle, you will need to have your vehicle scheduled for import. You will need to prepare your vehicle for that import so you will need to do the following prior to your scheduled import date:
- The car will need to be steam cleaned to avoid being quarantined once it reaches Canberra.
- Air conditioning gasses must be removed.
- Vehicle must meet the eligibility criteria in Title 19 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations to be imported.
- You will need to file a Letter of Notification with U.S. Customs. You will receive a notification with your intent to export with at least a 72-hour notice.
One detail that A1 Auto Transport will discuss with you is the shipping specifications. You will need to choose which shipping option works best for you. There are two to choose from. The first option is the Roll On/Roll Off shipping method. This method is more affordable and requires that your vehicle is secured on an open deck during the trip. The second option is container shipping method. This method of shipping requires that the vehicle is placed inside of a secured container for the trip. This is a more expensive way to ship a vehicle however it is also the safest way of protecting your vehicle from the harsh elements of the sea.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?