Small Boat Transport
Finding the most reliable and affordable small boat transport services for state to state, cross country or international transport is actually easier than you might assume. Most boat transporters and towing services try to keep their rates low while offering a variety of shipping services to appeal to all those interested in small boat shipping services. Tons of boat enthusiasts and dealers use professional transport services to lessen the risks involved and to assure the safe delivery of their small boat to its new home.
Prepare Your Small Boat for Transport
- Clean out your small boat, removing any and all hazardous materials including fuel, oil, paint, etc.
- Tightly secure all latches and make sure they are locked or tied shut. You can use zip ties, rope or tape to ensure that they are reinforced. If poor weather exists during the transport, this will ensure water doesn’t seep through.
- Remove any valuables, anchors, or loose items from the yacht before the transport.
- Close and lock down all windows and doors. This includes any cabinets or indoor attachments that could open while your small boat is making its way to its new home.
- Secure loose gears and cables inside and outside of the yacht.
- Disable all electrical and gas powered appliances and equipment in the small boat if there are any. Also disconnect the boat’s batteries.
- Have all necessary documentation ready for the transport company on the day they’re due to arrive.
Hire a Boat Shipping Company with Credentials
Before you hire a transporter, make sure they are licensed and certified by local, state and federal agencies. They should especially have BBB approval and a US DOT number. DOT registration is requirement for any transporter that conducts interstate hauling services. A CDL license is also required in this case. All licensed transporters are required to carry the state’s minimal amount of insurance coverage. For further reassurance you may be able to buy more insurance from your boat shipping company.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.