Deliver Your Car Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
- Compare rates for shipping to or from California
- Licensed, bonded and insured carriers near you
- Award winning service, always on time
- Get instant quotes using our form, or call: 1-800-452-2880
Safe And Reliable California Car Shipping Services By A-1 Auto Transport
The Golden State is home to some very huge American mainstays: Hollywood, the Golden Gate Bridge, Venice Beach, some of the most beautiful beaches AND west coast mountain scenery on this side of the world and a huge and diverse mix of towns/large cities. Thousands, if not millions of people relocate to California each year and it’s easy to see why. Commerce is booming, new businesses open every day and the entire state is one big draw for tourists. Therefore, California auto transport is equally big out there, since people want to be able to get around whether they are visiting or relocating for good. California.
Cost & Time To Ship Your Car Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time|
|Los Angeles to San Jose||$340||340 miles||2 – 4 days|
|San Diego to Phoenix, AZ||$355||355 miles||2 – 4 days|
|San Francisco to San Diego||$377||502 miles||2 – 4 days|
|Portland, OR to Los Angeles||$723||964 miles||3 – 5 days|
|Los Angeles to Houston, TX||$929||1548 miles||5 – 7 days|
|Louisiana to California||$1141||1901 miles||5 – 7 days|
|California to Illinois||$1042||2083 miles||6 – 8 days|
|Michigan to California||$1201||2402 miles||7 – 9 days|
|New York, NY to Los Angeles||$1116||2790 miles||7 – 9 days|
|California to Miami, FL||$1180||2950 miles||7 – 9 days|
*Prices and times are estimated. They can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
Tips For Using California Car Transport Companies
Since many people use their vehicles and trucks to relocate or visit Cali, there are several options to keep in mind when it comes to California auto shipping.
- Get quotes and compare prices from California auto transport companies around the state: Since the state is so massive, you need to get quotes from places nearby where you plan to be, always looking for seasonal discounts and specials to save you cash. California vehicle shipping companies are situated around the state and many have multiple offices, so keep that in mind anytime you submit for a quote for auto shipping. Be sure to check the BBB accredited review of any company that you are planning on shipping with. Online car shipping reviews can bring you some insight on which companies are good and which shippers you should steer clear of.
- Prepare your car or automobiles for the long haul: Particularly if you are coming from the other side of the country, check your fluids and make sure your car has enough gas to get where you are going on the other end of the trip. This is important since it will be making quite a long haul for shipping purposes.
- Pinpoint a good drop-off delivery point that is easily accessible to where you are headed: If you are scheduling for terminal-to-terminal California automobile transport, then make sure that the terminal of your choice is nearby the area where you plan to be once you arrive in the Golden State.
California auto transportation ensures that you can ride up and down the Pacific Coast Highway in your own vehicle, without worry about returning a rental car or borrowing someone else’s car for the journey. As you feel the ocean breeze and get from one point to the next in this massive state, you’ll be thankful that you utilized California auto transport for your car shipping needs.
Visit the California Department of Transportation website for more information on shipping your automobile to California.
Long Distance Auto Transport to/from California
When moving to another state for studies or a new job, bringing your car along with you may help you adjust faster. However, make sure your vehicle complies with your new state’s regulations. You may also need a new driver’s license if you’re moving permanently.
If you’re moving abroad, the above is just as important. Your auto transport company may have information on these issues, so consult with them before the move. Settle on a budget for your shipping and think of how and when you’d like to transport your car, so the conversation runs smoothly. If you find any of this difficult, call our office, and we will guide you through each step.
Shipping Luxury and Classic Cars in California
Bringing a luxury or classic car to California may damage it if you choose the wrong transportation method. Although open trailers are perfectly safe in most cases, unpredictable road and weather conditions may result in bumps or scratches on your vehicle.
Fortunately, cars transported with enclosed carriers are protected from outside elements (road debris, rocks, dust, bugs, rain) by the sides and top of the trailer. Your antique, exotic, classic, or luxury vehicles will arrive in exactly the same state they were in when they were picked up.
California Special Discounts
Special discounts are offered to all seniors and students that choose to transport their vehicles with our carriers. Military members are honored as well with a preferential price if they wish to use our services. You may also benefit from a seasonal discount even if you’re not from the groups mentioned above.
Services And Information
- California boat transport
- California military discount vehicle shipping
- California RV transportation services
- California traffic information
- California weather and car transportation
- Door to door shipping to California
- Shipping cars overseas from California
- Shipping motorcycles overseas from California
- Shipping motorcycles to California
- Cheap California auto transport
- Registering a car in California
- Vehicle inspections and smog emissions inspections in California
- Why is California a top auto transport hub
- Why you will probably need your car when moving to California
- California long distance moving services
- Ship a car from California to Florida
- Ship a car from Florida to California
- Shipping cars overseas from California
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
California Auto Transport Companies Directory
AmPm Auto Transport
If you plan to take a spin to see the stars, allow AmPm to ship your vehicle for you, so you can make it happen on your own terms. This licensed and bonded company offers all types of transport options for vehicle shipping.
2870 Los Feliz Pl. #101
Los Angeles, CA
Nationwide Transport Services, LLC
A national transport service with offices in the Los Angeles region, this company might be optimal for you if you have plans to move cross country and need a company with offices where you are starting from and where you are going.
3183 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA
Lepke Auto Transport
Lepke has been in the business for quite some time and has a high rating of customer satisfaction and diverse California auto shipping options. With this company, you can ship your vehicle in or out of California.
445 South Figueroa Street #2700
Los Angeles, CA
Global Auto Transportation
Global offers all auto shipping types and is a fully-insured company that provides transport for dealerships, individuals and online car buyers alike, helping cars to move in and out of California, depending on the need. Will ship vans, SUVs, boats, motorcycles and more.
2870 Los Feliz Place
Los Angeles, CA
First Class Auto Transport, Inc
First Class offers first class friendly drivers and some of the most affordable auto shipping rates in the industry. This is a perfect option for those that need top rate auto transport at a price they can afford. Ships all makes and models to Hawaii, Alaska and all United States destinations.
2202 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA
Tollfree – (800) 405-2494
San Francisco Auto Transport And Car Transport Service
Getting around San Francisco is no easy task; much less if you are trying to get your vehicle in or out. You might not have a clue of where to start when transporting your vehicle into the Bay area, but San Francisco Auto Transport does and can help you get the job done.
268 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA
Elite Auto Shipping
Elite Auto Shipping is just as the name implies; this company specializes in shipping cars of all types, but specifically classic and custom cars that require a special level of handling when engaging in California auto shipping.
200 Sagamore Street
San Francisco, CA
Pavel & Sons Auto Transport
Family owned and operated, Pavel and Sons provides California car shipping of all types, including enclosed and can ship vehicles in and out of the state.
7612 Glenmont Way
Berkfield Auto Transport
Berkfield is a long-standing California automobile transportation organization in the Sacramento area. This company is insured and prides itself on a long record of first-rate customer service. Offers military discounts.
7324 Bradshaw Road
Tow Auto Transport
If you need your vehicle shipped and would like quotes that offer a variety of ways in which to do so into or out of the capital city of the state, then this might be your chosen company in which to do so.
8876 Vintage Park Drive
California Car Registration
To register a car in California, there are a few basic steps you must follow:
- Go to the DMV office in California.
- Have your smog certificate and ownership proof with you.
- Prepare your car insurance and ID.
- Complete the 343 REG Form (a registration and title application).
- Pay the needed taxes and fees.
If you’ve just moved to California, you have 20 days to register your car. You are a California resident as soon as:
- You get employed in the state.
- Ask for a tax exemption on your CA home.
- You lease or rent an apartment or home.
- You send the state an application for a document, like a voter registration, driver’s license, etc.
- You enroll yourself or your children in high school, grade school, college, etc.
Military members who live in another state and their families are exempt from these rules.
If you’ve become a resident of California and wish to register a car, you must go to the DMV with the following:
- 343 REG Form (a registration and title application) signed and containing the lienholder’s information (if there is one).
- 4008 REG Form must be completed if you have a commercial automobile.
- 4017 REG Form must be completed if you’re registering a trailer.
- Vehicle insurance proof.
- If you are moving a title to CA, you must provide it as well.
- Registration from your home state.
- If necessary, a weight certificate.
- If needed, an emissions and smog certificate.
- All taxes and fees must be paid.
An employee of the DMV will inspect your car physically and check the VIN. Upon a successful registration, the registration stickers, certificate, and license plates will be provided.
The registration process differs when your car was bought from an individual as opposed to it being purchased from a dealership. Turning a non transferable car registration into one that can be transferred is another process altogether.
Dealership purchased vehicle registration
The car dealership usually handles the registration documents in your stead. They will also provide a temporary certificate to use until you receive the official registration. License plates may be issued or not depending on each dealership’s process.
Individual purchased car registration
Cars bought from private individuals must be registered within 10 days. You must go to the DMV in your local area and provide the following:
- The title of your car. If your car is a decade old or less, you must also present its odometer reading.
- If you do not have the car’s title, complete a 227 REG Form.
- A smog certificate. For vehicles older than four years, the seller must provide this certificate.
- A smog certificate is valid for just 90 days.
- If the registration was renewed for 2 more years before selling you the vehicle (within a 90 day margin), you don’t need a smog certificate.
- Submit a 343 REG Form.
- Pay the taxes and fees.
Changing Registrations From Non-Transferable to Transferable
If you cannot provide ownership proof on a vehicle from another state that you’re trying to register in CA, the registration you receive will not be transferable. Because of this, such a car cannot be transferred, sold, or receive a car title in California.
To convert your registration into one that’s transferable, you must go to the DMV office with the following:
- The current registration.
- The car’s last title.
- If it’s not in your possession, you must complete a 227 REG Form or speak to the DMV if the car was not titled originally in California.
- A registration or title application and a sale bill, if the car was bought from an individual.
- For cars younger than a decade, an odometer statement must be provided.
- If necessary, a smog certificate,
- If the car registration should be renewed in 30 days or less, you must pay the renewal fees.
- You must pay outstanding citations and the transfer fees if they apply.
California Car Registration for Military Members
The process for registering a vehicle differs slightly if you are a member of the military. This depends on whether you are or aren’t a California resident.
Non-residents: If you’re stationed in CA as a member of NATO or of the United States Armed Forces, you and your family do not have to register your cars in California. To drive legally, you must have the following:
- Auto insurance from California.
- License plates from your last country/state.
- Registration in your spouse’s or your own name.
Registrations made in another country/state must be properly renewed in the country/state they were first issued in.
You may be exempt from paying a fee for the car license if you register it in California or you bought it there.
Residents of California who are part of the military
If you’re stationed in another state, you may register a vehicle there. Upon your return to California, you can register it back.
If you’re stationed in California, regardless if you’re a member of the same state or not, you may receive a fee exemption on your car license. To get it, go to the DMV in California and complete a 5045 REG (for military members) or a 5046 REG form (for NATO members).
Members of the military with a California residency that are stationed in another state may not benefit from a fee exemption for their automobile license.
California Automobile Registration Fees
If you went to a dealership to buy your car, fees and taxes will be included in its complete price. If it was bought from an individual, you must pay them yourself at the DMV in CA.
Fees for late registration
You must register your car at most 20 days after your residency was established. If you are late, you will have to pay additional taxes. If you’ve bought a car from an individual, you must register it within 10 days or risk having to pay extra fees as well.
California Smog Inspections and Checks
Most cars in CA must go through such an inspection before they can be registered. In certain areas, smog inspections must done on a 2 year basis. Instead of a certification from the smog inspection, new vehicles must pay a yearly $20 fee for smog abatement in the initial six years of being registered.
Weight Certifications in California
To register certain trucks and pickups in CA, you need a weight certificate. It can be obtained from a mover with a car scale, or you can use a public one instead. Weighing your truck requires the payment of a fee that differs from one location to another and according to your tuck’s unladen weight.
A weight certificate is needed for commercial trucks whose operating weight is less than 6001 pounds. A 256 REG Form must be completed to estimate its weight.
A weight certification is not needed for:
- Pickups and trucks registered in CA if the registration shows the truck’s weight.
- Pickups and trucks, who when empty, weigh less than 6001 pounds.
- 2-3 axle trucks that weigh more than 10000 pounds.
License plates in California
License plates and registration stickers are mandatory in California. When the car is sold, the plates will go to the new owner, unless the seller specifically expresses his will to keep them.
Other California Resources
California.gov – official government website for the state of California.
California Wikipedia Page – everything you need to know about the state of California.
University Of California – The 10 campuses of the University of California open their doors to all who work hard and dream big. Through its teaching, research and public service, UC drives California’s economy and leads the world in new directions.
California State Parks And Recreation
California On Craigslist – local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, personals, services, local community, and events.
Related Information & FAQ
Reviews from Customers in California
Too bad there isn’t a star rating on this site, because I would give it 5 stars with no hesitation.
I and my family had to move to New Jersey due to my job relocation. We first tried a broker for our car, at the recommendation of the agent in charge of our move. The company had problems, and we should have done our research better. The truck arrived on time, but it never got to its destination.
We later learned it was stuck in a Los Angeles, California lot. We called, but instead of answering our questions, they just hung up. We were already in New Jersey, with no way of going back at this point.
Joe guided us through this situation and got our car unstuck. We managed to transfer its transport to his company. He got a truck to pass by the lot and pick it up. They were at our doorsteps a few days later.
The car was a bit dirty from sitting around for so long, but in great shape otherwise. We’re really happy with the service. I and my family couldn’t recommend A1 Auto Transport more. Thanks Joe!- David S.
The plan was to ship my car from California to Utah. I went through nearly 20 quotes after using an auto shipping site which linked to a bunch of brokers. Finally, I found A1 Auto Transport, a company with its own trucks with great reviews. I was sold.
Joe was very competent, gave off the impression he’d done this a million times, and it really showed throughout the transport. He listened to my request carefully, offered me several options, stayed in touch during the transport, and made sure I was happy with everything. Overall, a great company which I would definitely recommend to others!- Ian V.
Auto Transport Services in California
- Agoura Hills
- Alameda County
- Aliso Viejo
- Amador County
- American Canyon
- Apple Valley
- Arroyo Grande
- Baldwin Park
- Bell Gardens
- Beverly Hills
- Big Bear Lake
- Blue Lake
- Buena Park
- Butte County
- Calaveras County
- California City
- Canyon Lake
- Cathedral City
- Chino Hills
- Chula Vista
- Citrus Heights
- Colusa County
- Contra Costa County
- Corte Madera
- Costa Mesa
- Crescent City
- Culver City
- Daly City
- Dana Point
- Del Mar
- Del Norte County
- Del Rey Oaks
- Desert Hot Springs
- Diamond Bar
- Dos Palos
- East Palo Alto
- El Cajon
- El Centro
- El Cerrito
- El Dorado County
- El Monte
- El Paso de Robles
- El Segundo
- Elk Grove
- Fort Bragg
- Fort Jones
- Foster City
- Fountain Valley
- Fresno County
- Garden Grove
- Glenn County
- Grand Terrace
- Grass Valley
- Grover Beach
- Half Moon Bay
- Hawaiian Gardens
- Hermosa Beach
- Hidden Hills
- Humboldt County
- Huntington Beach
- Huntington Park
- Imperial County
- Indian Wells
- Inyo County
- Isla Vista
- Kern County
- King City
- Kings County
- La Cañada Flintridge
- La Habra
- La Habra Heights
- La Mesa
- La Mirada
- La Palma
- La Puente
- La Quinta
- La Verne
- Laguna Beach
- Laguna Hills
- Laguna Niguel
- Laguna Woods
- Lake County
- Lake Elsinore
- Lake Forest
- Lassen County
- Lemon Grove
- Live Oak
- Loma Linda
- Long Beach
- Los Alamitos
- Los Altos
- Los Altos Hills
- Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County
- Los Gatos
- Los Banos
- Madera County
- Mammoth Lakes
- Manhattan Beach
- Marin County
- Marina del Rey
- Mariposa County
- Mendocino County
- Menlo Park
- Merced County
- Mill Valley
- Mission Hills
- Mission Viejo
- Modoc County
- Mono County
- Monte Sereno
- Monterey County
- Moreno Valley
- Morgan Hill
- Morro Bay
- Mount Shasta
- Mountain View
- Napa County
- National City
- Nevada County
- Newport Beach
- Orange County
- Pacific Grove
- Palm Desert
- Palm Springs
- Palo Alto
- Palos Verdes Estates
- Pico Rivera
- Pismo Beach
- Placer County
- Pleasant Hill
- Plumas County
- Port Hueneme
- Port Of Long Beach
- Port of Los Angeles
- Port of Oakland
- Port of Redwood City
- Port Of Richmond
- Port of San Diego
- Port of San Francisco
- Port Of Stockton
- Port Of Eureka
- Port Of Sacramento
- Port Of Vallejo
- Portola Valley
- Rancho Cordova
- Rancho Cucamonga
- Rancho Mirage
- Rancho Palos Verdes
- Rancho Santa Margarita
- Red Bluff
- Redondo Beach
- Redwood City
- Rio Dell
- Rio Vista
- Riverside County
- Rohnert Park
- Rolling Hills
- Rolling Hills Estates
- Sacramento County
- San Anselmo
- San Benito County
- San Bernardino
- San Bernardino County
- San Bruno
- San Buenaventura
- San Carlos
- San Clemente
- San Diego
- San Diego County
- San Dimas
- San Fernando
- San Francisco
- San Francisco County
- San Gabriel
- San Jacinto
- San Joaquin County
- San Jose
- San Juan Bautista
- San Juan Capistrano
- San Leandro
- San Luis Obispo County
- San Marcos
- San Mateo
- San Mateo County
- San Pablo
- San Rafael
- San Ramon
- Santa Ana
- Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara County
- Santa Clara
- Santa Clara County
- Santa Clarita
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz County
- Santa Maria
- Santa Monica
- Santa Paula
- Santa Rosa
- Scotts Valley
- Seal Beach
- Shasta County
- Sierra County
- Sierra Madre
- Signal Hill
- Simi Valley
- Siskiyou County
- Solano County
- Sonoma County
- South El Monte
- South Gate
- South Lake Tahoe
- South Pasadena
- St. Helena
- Stanislaus County
- Suisun City
- Sutter County
- Tehama County
- Temple City
- Thousand Oaks
- Trinity County
- Tulare County
- Tuolumne County
- Twentynine Palms
- Union City
- Ventura County
- Villa Park
- Walnut Creek
- West Covina
- West Hollywood
- West Sacramento
- Westlake Village
- Yolo County
- Yorba Linda
- Yuba County
- Yucca Valley