There was a time when $500 could get your car shipped from coast to coast in the U.S., but those days are long gone. While technology and more efficient practices have helped to streamline the auto transport industry and bring down costs, rising gas prices and the increase of specialized services have counterbalanced those savings. In today’s world, most coast-to-coast auto shipments would run at least $1,000 per car.
This raises the question of just how far you can get a car shipped for $500. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some recent numbers that reflect the current value you can find in terms of distance. First, let’s talk about the cheapest way to ship a car in general.
There are two major options you have when shipping a vehicle, both of which will affect the total cost. The first is the type of carrier used to transport the vehicle. An open air auto carrier that hauls several cars at once is the cheaper option since the cost is split several ways. Alternately the more pricey option would be an enclosed carrier that usually only moves one or two cars at once.
Tied into this is the second option: the method of delivery. If you choose to have a car shipped directly to your home, referred to as door-to-door auto transport, it comes with a higher cost. The more affordable option is to have your car shipped to a delivery terminal where you then pick it up.
To sum it up, the best way to find auto transport for $500 or less is to choose an open carrier and delivery to a shipping terminal.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How Far Can I Ship A Car For $500?
The per-mile cost breakdown of having a car shipped depends, to some extent, on the distance, it’s being shipped. To give an example, a car shipped 200 miles will cost more on a per mile basis than the same car shipped 700 miles. On the cheaper end of the spectrum, rates can be as low as 50 cents per mile. On the upper end, it can be close to a dollar per mile. Let’s take a look at some recent numbers to get a better idea.
- Las Vegas, NV to Salt Lake City, UT – $495
- Los Angeles, CA to San Francisco, CA – $447
- Jacksonville, FL to Nashville, TN – $481
- Indianapolis, IN to Washington, D.C. – $437
- PIttsburgh, PA to Boston, MA – $459
- Minneapolis, MN to Chicago, IL – $431
If you have questions about affordable auto transport or want a specific price quote, give us a call at the number at the top of the page! All estimates are 100% FREE for all customers, all the time. No payment or obligation required.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?