- What Are The State To State Car Shipping Options & Service Choices?
- Choosing An Interstate Auto Moving Company
- The A-1 Interstate Car Shipping Advantage
What Are The State To State Car Shipping Options & Service Choices?
Interstate Auto transport - Moving your car from one state to another is a pretty broad category of car shipping because it can mean anything from delivering a car a couple hundred miles or less up to 2,000 miles or more. Interstate auto transport can mean moving a car from New York to Pennsylvania or it can mean shipping an auto from California to Vermont; two very different jobs!
Choosing An Interstate Auto Moving Company
There are a lot of options available for moving a car between states and some are definitely better than others. For one, most companies that ship cars between states usually specialize in just one or a couple routes. A company may primarily ship autos from Connecticut to Florida, for example, and take periodic work along the east coast as it fits with their shipping schedule. There are a handful of companies that routinely ship to all regions in the U.S., which tend to be larger and more established nationwide transport companies in the industry. These are the ones you should target if you need a vehicle shipped across the country, or from coast to coast.
When picking an interstate auto transport company, you should either find one that specializes in the states you need service or a company that works throughout the United States like A-1. Unlike some other professional auto movers, we have operating authority in all 50 states, which means we can handle auto shipping requests to and from anywhere in America. There are two easy ways to determine if a company has operating authority in the states in which you need shipping services. The first, and most reliable, is to look up a company on the FMCSA website to see the status of their operating authority. The other, which may be quicker but official, is to use Google Maps to see if they have field offices in the cities and states in which you’ll need service.
A-1 Auto Transport is a nationwide and international vehicle shipping company with more than 20 years of industry experience. With offices in virtually every major city and metropolitan area in the United States, we are experienced and qualified to ship anywhere in the nation. Click Here or call us today at 1-800-452-2880 for a FREE price quote to ship to or from anywhere in the country! No payment or obligation is needed and our staff will be happy to assist in any way they can.
The A-1 Interstate Car Shipping Advantage
- Convenience: There’s no denying that it can be a pain to drive a car halfway across the country just so you can have access to it in another state. With A-1’s interstate auto shipping program, your car will be delivered directly to the location you specify at the time you need. We even have auto storage available in all 50 states so there’s no problem if your vehicle arrives ahead of you.
- Affordability: Many first-time car movers are surprised to find out that it can be cheaper to hire a professional than to move a car yourself, especially when crossing state lines. Going from one state to another usually means a trip of a few hundred to a couple thousand miles and that adds up in gas, wear on your vehicle, as well as food and lodging costs if the trip takes several days. If you calculate the costs of driving or towing your vehicle on your own and compare it to our interstate shipping prices, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that the price difference is negligible, if not cheaper, when hiring us to do the job for you.
- Proven Track Record: If you’re hiring a company to transport one of the most expensive items you own, you probably wouldn’t want to entrust a fly-by-night or upstart company with that task. A-1 Auto Transport has a proven track record of more than 25 years moving cars to all 50 U.S. states, including Hawaii and Alaska. We maintain one of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry, built on more than two decades of delivering quality interstate auto transport services at affordable prices.
- Wide Range of Service Options: Not only do we provide the affordability and experience that customers are looking for when shipping a car from one state to another, but we also offer an unparalleled range of service options to our customers. Many companies may only cater to certain regions or states, or have certain options available in a given area, but we provide our full suite of transport options to all customers no matter where they’re shipping to or from.
These options include but are not limited to the following choices:
- Open and enclosed car shipping
- Local, long distance and overseas transport
- Terminal to terminal and door to door shipping
- Moving services with auto transport
- Storage facilities in every state
- Motorcycle shipping
- Heavy equipment transport
- Luxury, exotic, and high end vehicle shipping
- Electric vehicle transport
- Military car shipping
- International and overseas transport
- Shipping for salvage titles and nonoperational vehicles
- Motorhome and fifth wheel shipping
- Roll on, roll off shipping (international)
- Transport for recreational vehicles
- ATV and UTV transport
- Passenger vehicle shipping
- Fleet transport for businesses and organizations
These are just some of the many options we have available to our customers. For more information about what we offer, please visit our services page to learn more or call us today at 1-800-452-2880. Our professional staff is available seven days a week to help with your transport needs or answer any questions you may have about the process, pricing, and options. To put it simply, we can delivery any type of vehicle to any location it needs to go and we’ll do it for a fraction of the price of our competitors. Contact us today to see how easy and affordable it can be to ship your car, truck, motorcycle, or van anywhere in the United States!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the size of my vehicle make a difference in how I ship it state to state?
No, the size of your vehicle won’t make a difference. Open car carriers are used to cross the country for long and short routes. They all carry most vehicles – sedans, Pick Ups, SUVs, and vans.
However, if you have any particular equipment added on the exterior of your vehicle that makes it a difficult fit for the carrier, it cost you more to ship.
Can I leave personal items in my car?
Some companies will allow belongings in the trunk up to a certain weight. However, the US Department of Transportation prohibits the carrying of personal items on a truck licensed for carrying automobiles. A company can be fined up to $10,000 for violating the DOT law.
It’s best that you find another way to transport all your belongings and not rely on your vehicle to do it.
What is the difference between using an open or closed carrier for interstate transport?
Open carrier – This mode of transport will not protect your vehicle from elements, i.e., weather, road grime, bugs, rocks, etc. However, more vehicles can fit on an open car carrier, so it lowers your transportation cost.
Closed carrier – This mode of transportation protects your vehicle from the elements. The closed carrier carries fewer cars so the cost of the transport will be more for you.
Speak with your transport company or broker to find out which model is best for you.
How will my vehicle be picked up and delivered?
Most vehicle transport companies will do all they can to pick up and deliver your vehicle where you want. However, due to the size of transport carriers, residential streets sometimes don’t work due to maneuverability constraints.
If this is the case, most will ask you to meet them somewhere more carrier friendly such as a large parking lot.
Must I be present when my car is picked up or delivered?
Vehicle transport carriers will request that you, or someone you designate, be present at both pickup and delivery.
An inspection will be done at pickup and again at delivery noting all knicks, dings, and dents. The same review conducted on both ends enables the driver and you to notice any damage that may have occurred at the time of delivery.
How do I prepare my vehicle for transport?
Here is a list of what you can do to prepare your car for interstate transport:
- Make sure it is spotless, inside and out. Attention to cleaning your vehicle helps with detecting any knicks, dings, or dents.
- Make sure there are no personal items left in the vehicle
- Make sure there is a ¼ tank of gas in the car
How do I track my vehicle while in transit?
There are a few ways available to track your vehicle depending on the company you use:
- Many have online tracking to go to their website, enter your tracking number, and their system will update you.
- Some will give you an update without you asking for it
- Others will update you only if you ask
- If independently owned and operated, some shipping companies with a driver who does all the work himself may even give you his cell number so you can speak with him directly.
Why would I use car transport instead of driving the car myself?
If you need to move out of state and bring your car with you, there are some factors to consider when deciding whether to ship it or drive it yourself. These factors are:
- How far is your destination?
- How many extra miles be on your vehicle?
- Will you have to pay interstate tolls?
- Will you have to spend nights in a hotel after driving all day?
- Will you have to miss work?
- How much will gas cost?
When choosing whether to hire an interstate auto transport company or drive your car yourself, consider the above. If you know your vehicle will be secure in transit and be delivered to its destination when you need it, maybe using a transport company is an excellent idea. You be the judge.
How long does it take to transport a car from state to state?
Usually, a transportation company will give a time frame for delivery with the initial quote. However, it’s important to remember that moving a car from state to state can have delays caused by natural disasters, seasonal weather, and road incidents.
Can I transport an inoperative vehicle?
Yes, you can, but not all companies are authorized to transport vehicles between states, and those that are, not all are willing to ship a nonworking car.
Find a company with experience in transporting inoperative vehicles. Their expertise will make a difference in the safety and security of your car while also meeting all regulatory requirements.
Keep in mind that transporting your inoperative vehicle may cost more. An experienced company or broker will be able to help you understand the costs.
How does insurance work for interstate car transport?
Most transport companies include basic liability coverage during transport. There are comprehensive insurance options available through your insurance broker or the carrier if you want or think you need more.
Be sure to speak with your transport carrier or broker if you have any questions about insurance.
What does interstate transport of my car cost?
A transport company will give you an estimated cost for shipping your car. The estimate is a guideline of what the customer will pay for the distance covered.
Keep in mind that the upfront estimate is just that, an estimate. Costs displayed upfront, before the exact information you can give them, can be adjusted to fit your needs without compromising on the safety and security of your vehicle.