There are many great transport companies familiar with shipping yachts by ground or sea in the Fort Lauderdale area. The key is to find a shipping service familiar with the transport of water vessels and affordable, low cost rates. They should also have BBB approval and DOT registration among other certifications, proving their dependability as a transport company.
Contact any transport company with these qualities to ask questions and gather quotes. Don’t forget to ask about their insurance coverage and what it entails.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Preparing Your Yacht for Its Shipping Process
- Take any hazardous materials off the yacht including paint, oil, fuel and any other flammable or dangerous liquids.
- Make sure all latches and hatches are fastened and secured tightly. Reinforce latches with rope, straps or zip ties. There shouldn’t be any way for water or debris to get into the yacht.
- Go through the yacht to remove any valuable or sentimental items. The transporter will not be held responsible for any of these items. Remove the anchor and any other heavy unattached items as well.
- Lock or secure shut all doors, cabinets, windows and drawers to prevent them from opening during the yacht’s transport.
- Secure loose gears and cables inside and outside of the yacht.
- If the yacht exceeds 13ft in height, make sure you inform the transport company of this. They may need to come up with an alternative route to avoid certain bridges and tunnels. If you can remove the piece or part that makes the yacht this tall, please do so.
- Disable all electrical and gas powered appliances and equipment. Batteries must also be disconnected.
- Have all necessary documentation regarding the yacht ready for the towing operator.
Preparing your yacht for its transport is important. It helps reassure a successful and safe shipping process. Not only will it help protect the condition of the yacht during its travels but it will keep those transporting it safer from potential risks.
Aside from preparing the yacht for its transport to ensure its safety, the transport company will provide some insurance coverage. In most cases, the transporter will only protect partial value of the yacht as set by state law. However, you may have the ability to buy additional coverage through the transporter’s insurance agency.