There are many things one has to consider while moving a vehicle, one of the most important factors being the cost. It is always best to never take for granted the quotation given by companies as they might differ widely. That is why it is better to get your own calculations done with the help of an auto transport calculator. You will be able to compare the rates given by various companies and this will help you choose the one that gives the most favorable one. However, keep in mind that it will only be a rough estimate but it will certainly help you to come to a decision.
Looking for a car shipping quote calculator? Visit our homepage and use ours today
Advantages of Using a Calculator
- Time factor -: the calculator will tell you the amount of time that will take for delivery. This way you will be able to choose the fastest company which will have your vehicle waiting for you at the destination when you want it.
- Helps you to get an estimate before purchase -: sometimes when people buy vehicles from other places or even from online, a calculator will help them to know the shipping charges beforehand.
- Curtailing costs -: When you how the factors that are required to do the calculations and the factors affecting the cost of shipping, you will know how and where to cut costs.
Things to Consider While Getting an Auto Transport Quote
Some companies will only ask for basic information when you use their auto transport calculator. However, when you go in for the actual quote, you might be required to provide more information such as the following.
- Your vehicle -: This in itself is an important factor as the type of carrier might vary depending on the make, size, and age of the vehicle. You might want to go in for an enclosed carrier for your brand new luxury car while an open-air carrier will do for your old family car. Enclosed carriers are more expensive than open air carriers as they offer more protection against weather, which minimizes dust and prevents scratches.
- Distance -: of course the longer the distance, the more the cost will be and when it has to be shipped abroad, then the cost will vary again depending on the destination country.
- Insurance -: you will be asked to take a basic insurance which is suitable for most kind of vehicle but then again, when you are transporting an expensive car, it is recommended that you get extra coverage which might cost a little bit more.
Getting a Cheaper Quote
There are certain advantages in using an auto transport calculator that few are aware of. When you use one, you will not only be able to compare quotes given by other companies but will also be able to compare quotes given by the same company when you input different criteria.
- The route -: When both the pickup and dropping off points are in major cities, the rates will be cheaper. So in case the vehicle has to be picked up at a small city or from a rural area, you can just drive it to the nearest biggest city to reduce the rate. The transportation company can just pick it up from where you leave the vehicle.
- Method of transportation -: Similarly, you will find that the price further drops when the transportation is from terminal to terminal, rather than having it picked up from your doorstep and getting it delivered to your specific address.
- The time of year -: Generally winter months will see a reduction of transportation due to extreme weather conditions and hence the rates will also be cheaper. If time is of no concern to you, then winter will be a good time for your vehicle to be shipped.
- Pay only for what you need -: Most companies will have a standardized package which will include all of their services and you will have to pay for all of them. Getting an estimate beforehand will help you to choose companies which will customize their services for you so that you will pay only for what you actually need.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.