- Door-To-Door Car Shipping Cost & Time Examples
- Door-To-Door Transport Car Transport Options
- Door-To-Door Car Shipping Services For
- Preparing Your Vehicle For Door-To-Door Transport Service
- Other Considerations To Take Into Account
- Related Information
You can now request an instant quote for car shipping on your smartphone by downloading the free A-1 Auto Transport application, which is available for both iPhone and Android. Get door-to-door transport service from the best car shipping company at the best price in your area.
Door-to-Door Car Shipping Cost & Time Examples
|Shipping To/From||Cost||Distance||Estimated Time In Transit|
|Los Angeles, CA to Phoenix, AZ||$520||386 mi||2-4 days|
|Chicago, IL to Memphis, TN||$740||538 mi||2-4 days|
|Atlanta, GA to Detroit, MI||$810||732 mi||3-5 days|
|Denver, CO to San Diego, CA||$880||1090 mi||4-6 days|
|Phoenix, AZ to Seattle, WA||$1010||1086 mi||4-6 days|
|San Jose, CA to Dallas, TX||$1180||1693 mi||5-7 days|
|Detroit, MI to Las Vegas, NV||$1250||1999 mi||5-7 days|
|Seattle, WA to Memphis, TN||$1470||2303 mi||6-8 days|
|New York, NY to Phoenix, AZ||$1340||2421 mi||7-9 days|
|Portland, OR to Miami, FL||$1440||3281 mi||7-9 days|
- *Car transport costs and times are estimated. Car shipping quotes can vary depending on the season and what type of vehicle you are shipping.
- *Shipping cost examples are for enclosed transport costs from door-to-door auto shipping.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Door-to-Door Transport Car Transport Options
As with any service, door-to-door auto transportation offers several choices for shipping a car. One option is a multi-car transport truck, which is ideal for basic vehicle transport. These trucks were designed specifically for auto transport, with the majority of car shipments easily fitting safely and securely onto the truck.
A second option for shipping a car is to use a flatbed truck, a good choice when moving more than one vehicle or a smaller vehicle. The flatbed option is ideal to ship a car and another small vehicle, such as a dirt bike or motorcycle.
Our enclosed transport trucks offer a more secure car transport option with an added layer of protection. Designed with higher-end, luxury, or classic cars in mind, enclosed transport is a great option for shipping a car if you have concerns about the weather, road debris, or other potential damage caused to your vehicle during delivery. This is a particularly good option for car shipping if you are buying or selling a vehicle as it offers the most protection and safety during transport.
Door-to-Door Car Shipping Services For:
- Antique Automobiles Shipping
- ATV & UTV Shipping
- Classic Cars Shipping
- Hybrid Vehicles Shipping
- Luxury Cars Shipping
- Motorcycles Shipping
- RVs Shipping
- SUV's Shipping
- Trucks Shipping
- Vans Shipping
Preparing Your Vehicle for Door-to-Door Transport Service
Whether using terminal-to-terminal or door-to-door transport for car shipping, there are a few simple steps that you should take to prepare your car for shipping.
- It’s a good idea to check your battery, tire pressure, and fluid levels before you ship your car. Any mechanical issues or operational quirks should be communicated before pick-up by the car shipping company.
- Have no more than 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle before auto shipping.
- Clean the vehicle and remove any loose or personal items before car shipping. This can include items such as detachable car stereos, GPS units, garage door openers, and parking permits.
- Fold in mirrors and remove any non-retractable antennas, spoilers, luggage racks, or other accessories of the vehicle.
- Disable the alarm or include detailed instructions for the car transport company on how to turn it off in case it cannot be disabled.
- Document and photograph any existing damage to the vehicle for your records before car shipping.
- Put the top up if your vehicle is a convertible. If this is not an option, enclosed transport by car shipping companies is a good option that is worth exploring.
- Provide a set of all vehicle keys to the driver of the car shipping company.
Other Considerations to Take Into Account
It is important to remember that car shipping services require a wide enough street for our auto carriers to maneuver. Obstacles to auto shipping can include overhanging tree branches or driveways in which it is difficult to navigate large pickup trucks. In circumstances such as these, our driver will contact you and arrange for pick up at the nearest convenient location.
A-1 Auto Transport is a SmartWay Partner with the Environmental Protection Agency, which works to reduce harmful emissions in the freight transportation industry. We are also Verisign Secured, which means all online communications with us are secure and encrypted for your privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Door-to-door transport means that the transporter will get as close as possible to your most desired locations for pickup and delivery. People usually think that this means door-to-door car shipping from their residence, office, or any place they choose, and it could. However, sometimes this thought isn't realistic for a few reasons:
- Auto carriers are big, and they can't always legally or safely pull over to load or unload your vehicle(s)
- Auto carriers can have a hard time navigating residential areas to ship a car
- Auto transport carriers have open trailers, so there is little to no protection from low-hanging branches.
This service will cost more than terminal-to-terminal, but it still may be worth it to you. First, check with different car shipping companies to see which ones will best meet your needs for car shipping. Also, check the transport cost for the same by getting car shipping quotes in advance.
There are two methods used by car shipping companies:
- Enclosed auto transport – Transporting your vehicle in a covered trailer. Enclosed transport gives your car more protection from elements in transit, including bugs, road dirt, other vehicles, etc. Many people choose this auto transport method for expensive models, antiques, and sports cars. It is the most expensive car shipping method.
- Open auto transport – Transporting your vehicle on an open truck bed or trailer exposes your car to weather, bugs, and other road issues that could occur. In addition, open auto transport is less expensive for car shipping companies.
Yes. However, taking a vehicle to another country via car shipping companies can be more complicated than crossing state lines in the U.S.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing an international door-to-door auto transport company to take your car overseas:
- Make sure the car shipper has experience with international car shipping
- Ensure they're well-versed in the destination country's laws and know how to arrange for custom paperwork and fees for car shipping.
- Make sure they understand how your car must comply with all the destination country's laws, i.e., conditions for import while auto shipping.
- Ensure they have a helpful checklist of all paperwork associated with your car, i.e., title, authorization from a lienholder, bill of sale, etc.
Here are some steps you can take to prepare your vehicle for transport:
- Clean your car before you actually ship it. This will help you, and the driver of the car shipping company to check for dents, scratches, or dings. Your auto goes through careful inspection at pickup and drop-off while shipping a car, so know the condition of your car when it starts its journey. Take pictures of your vehicle before car shipping!
- Have about a quarter of a tank of gas in the car before shipping. No need to have more, and it only adds to the weight of the vehicle for auto transport.
- Take picture of the vehicle's mileage and gas tank before car shipping.
- Decide if you want to ship with non-factor add-ons for auto transport. These add-ons add weight and reduce space on the car shipping carrier. In addition, you may be charged more transport costs for these add-ons by the car shipping companies.
- If you're shipping during cold weather, make sure all fluids, including antifreeze, are checked before vehicle shipping.
The car shipping cost for door-to-door service depends on a few factors:
- The size and weight of your vehicle in the enclosed transport
- The distance for vehicle shipping i.e., the traveling distance between pickup and delivery of auto transport
- Your schedule for transport(a flexible schedule costs less)
- Season of the year for car shipping– weather, high seasons for moving, i.e., snowbirds moving North to South during the winter will cost more than moving South to North.
Be sure to speak with your shipping company or broker to get the lowest-cost option. You can also use a car shipping cost calculator to find a rough estimate.
Transit times to ship your car can vary depending on the origin and delivery locations, deliveries along the way, severe weather, and road conditions. In addition, the law limits drivers to a specific number of miles and hours per day that they can drive.
So, you should ask the auto transportation services about how long will it take for shipping a car. Normally, you will get the car delivered in time if there aren't any severe weather conditions.
Car transport services have operators standing by and ready to speak with you about your door-to-door shipping before and during automobile transport. Best car shipping companies also have online help if you're comfortable working with a computer.
Before a car transporter company picks up your vehicle, you'll have a phone number to call the car carriers and an order or quote # to give for reference. In addition, a contract # will be provided should you have any questions or concerns during the car shipment transit.
Being allowed to leave personal items in your vehicle during auto shipping depends on the car transporter company you choose and the state in which they do business.
Do not assume you can include belongings or boxes in your vehicle when you ship a car.
There are a few things to consider if you're thinking of transporting belongings in your vehicle:
- What are the rules and regulations for the vehicle shipping company you've chosen?
- What are the vehicle shipping regulations for the state?
- What are the weight requirements established by the vehicle shipping company? Enclosed trailers and open trailers have different weight restrictions. If you go above their weight limit, it could cost you more money.
- Don't pack illegal items. Don't assume that because something is legal in your state means it is legal where you're going. Crossing state lines with illegal items is considered a federal crime.
- If the carrier driver is pulled over, The Department of Transportation (DOT) has the right to search your vehicle.
Speaking with a representative from the vehicle shipping company you've chosen will help you navigate the "dos and don'ts" of transporting your vehicle(s) with personal belongings inside.
By law, all auto transport services must provide complete protection insurance. However, even with this law, some car transport companies may have a waiver in their contract exempting them from responsibility for damage that may occur while they ship a car. Because of this, it is vital that you know certain things before transporting your vehicle even with the best car shipping companies:
- Ask for proof of insurance from the auto transport company
- Always get everything in writing from the car transport companies. Any special agreements or considerations for a clean car guarantee must be in writing so that you are protected if anything unexpected happens while they ship a car.
- Check your auto insurance policy. It may cover you for auto shipping, but don't assume. Find out what your auto insurance company requires for your vehicle transport. Get in touch with your auto broker too regarding the same.
- Inspect the car with the truck driver at pickup and delivery. Note all knicks, dings, and dents before shipping your car.
- Do not sign your Bill of Lading upon delivery until you've inspected the vehicle's condition upon arrival. The transfer is finalized once you sign the Bill of Lading. The auto transport company is no longer liable. If you see any signs of damage, include it on the Bill of Lading and get the driver's signature.
No matter what, ensure your auto is adequately insured for door-to-door transport using the insurance necessary either through the transport company or your insurance company.
A vehicle is considered non-operative when it can't be operated for any reason. A non-operative auto can be a problem for shipping because carriers move most cars onto a carrier by driving, wheeling, or towing.
When considering a door-to-door car delivery service, here are factors to think about:
- Are they willing to transport an inoperable car?
- If they allow this, are they experienced in moving inoperative vehicles?
- How will the cost be increased for transporting an inoperative car?
Speak with your transport company or car delivery service broker to help you think through the best way to transport your inoperable vehicle to its desired destination.
Yes, you can count on it costing more to transport a truck and SUV door-to-door than a regular vehicle such as a sedan.
Usually, to transport your vehicle door-to-door (or any way), most auto transport companies require that you provide certain documents before car shipping.
These documents include a copy of insurance, your vehicle registration as proof that the vehicle is yours, and documentation from any lienholder that you can transport the car.
Ideally, you inspected your car upon delivery and noticed the damage. Damage can be new knicks, scratches, dents, etc. If you see any damage done during the car shipping process, tell the driver about it immediately so you can file a claim.
If you don't tell the driver about it upon delivery, you can still file a claim, but you must do so within 30 days of car transport delivery. Follow these crucial suggestions when inspecting your car at delivery and seeing damage:
- Make sure to get the Bill of Lading upon delivery. A Bill of Lading is the best place to document any damage you see to your vehicle.
- Call your car transport company immediately and let them know about the damage.
- Take a picture of the damage (remember, you have photos of your vehicle at pickup so you can show the difference), so you have proof.
- Get a quote for repair and have this prepared when working with the transport company during normal business hours.