- Auto Transport Pricing How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Car?
- Factors That Affect The Price Of Shipping A Car
- Shipping Costs Resources
Auto Transport Pricing: How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Car?
One of the biggest challenges in determining the cost of shipping a car is that there are several factors involved, some of which can drastically affect the price. While it may not cost much to ship a car from New York to Pennsylvania, the same car going from New York to California will cost significantly more due to the associated costs and labor.
As you might expect, shipping distance is the single biggest cost factor involved in shipping a car. Though the cost of shipping may vary slightly from one company to another, one thing you can be sure of is that it costs more the further you ship. Some times of year and certain transport routes that are more direct may be less expensive, but ultimately, the miles the driver has to travel and the time spent on the road are most affect the cost of transporting a vehicle.
Though it’s more of a secondary factor in terms of cost, the method of shipment and delivery also plays a role in how much you’ll pay. The standard method of transport uses an open air carrier that hauls several cars at once to minimize the cost of shipping since the truck is “shared” by several different parties having their vehicle delivered. Alternately, you can choose enclosed or door-to-door shipping which allows for easier to deliver to a certain location or address, but does cost slightly more.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Factors That Affect The Price Of Shipping A Car
- Vehicle Type & Size - The type of vehicle and its dimensions have an impact on how much you’ll pay for shipping as well. If you’re shipping a car or truck that is larger or wider than a standard vehicle, that may require a certain type of carrier to move, whereas a more standard sized sedan can fit on almost any type of truck. This is especially true when using an enclosed carrier since there are limits as to what can fit in the storage area of the truck. If a car has a higher curb weight than normal, it will likely cost more to ship than other cars since cargo weight is a main factor in shipping any type of vehicle.
- Shipping Distance - This one is fairly straightforward. The further you ship a car, the more it will cost, although the per-mile rate generally gets cheaper the longer the shipment. If you’re shipping a car to another country, this becomes more of a factor since greater distances are involved.
- Shipping Location - This ties into the distance the car is being transported, particularly within the continental U.S., but it’s more of a factor with international car shipping. More distance equals more expensive, but the taxes and duties in some countries can run as much or more than the cost to ship the car. Because this is the case, and since it varies from country to country, it’s important to have an understanding of the taxes and limitations for the country you’re considering shipping to.
Shipping Costs Resources
International Car Shipping - Shipping a vehicle international entails a whole different set of circumstances that affect the price of transport since it’s not done using overland transport. Shipping to another country is generally done by boat, which involves some of the same factors, but there are some differences that should be understood if you plan to ship overseas.
Cost To Ship A Car - More information about what contributes to car shipping costs, as well as tips to help you find the right fit with a company that is both affordable and professional.