How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Car In An Enclosed Carrier?
As you may or may not be aware of, the two main shipping methods for domestic shipping in the United States are Open Transport and Enclosed Transport.
In dealing strictly with enclosed carriers, as the more expensive option of the two, it’s important to understand both its cost and the factors that can subsequently affect it.
The truth is, when you’re provided with a shipping quote by an auto transport company, the way in which it is derived depends on a few different aspects, all of which are combined together. The more reputable auto transport companies will be able to provide you with as accurate of a quote as possible at the very beginning, something which A-1 Auto Transport can do.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Factors That Determine the Enclosed Auto Transport Cost
The first thing to note is that, on average, the cost of enclosed auto transport is around $1.00 per mile, which is around twice the amount that open auto transport costs. However, this is not something that should be relied upon when determining the actual cost, as it doesn’t always come out to this rate. Instead, there are many other determinants that can affect the final enclosed auto transport cost, which are the following:
- Weather: If you’re choosing the enclosed transport option during the winter, in which your automobile has to be transported in areas of the country that experience snowy or harsh weather, that’ll make the cost rise in most instances. That’s because not only are there less scheduled routes around this time, but there are also more security measures that have to be taken due to the increased risks involved. When a truck is driving in areas with low visibility due to snow, as well as roads that are covered in ice, it’s much more dangerous and costs more to insure.
- Location: Another aspect that can drive up costs is the location if you live in a remote location or one that isn’t easily accessible. This is often the case in door to door shipping if one doesn’t live near a city. In order to lower the costs for enclosed shipping in this matter, one can drive the vehicle to a more cost-effective location, as can be arranged with the auto transport company.
Costs can be lowered if you’re located in a city or a near a city where there is a large population or a heavily-used traffic route. The more popular the area is, the more transport trucks pass by or are located near it, thus leading to lower costs for you. Costs can decrease by up to 50% in some instances for enclosed auto transport in high-traffic volume areas.
Even yet another aspect of location that plays a part is the elevation of the area. If you live in the mountains, this will lead to higher costs. Not only does the transport truck that’s required for enclosed shipping have to take extra security measures, but it also will mean that the transport time increases. For example, if the road is particularly steep, the transport truck will have to drive much more slowly (especially if it’s winter) both to the top and the bottom. This can result in a few extra hundred dollars in costs.
Reasons Why Enclosed Auto Transport Costs More Than Open Auto Transport
Besides the aforementioned factors that can affect enclosed auto transport costs, it costs more than open auto transport because of a few reasons:
- Enclosed auto transport carriers only hold between 2 to 3 vehicles as opposed to 8 to 10 on open auto transport carriers. More vehicles = cheaper costs.
- Enclosed auto transport carriers utilize special shipping trailers / containers that require specialized security equipment and measures to be taken to both secure the vehicle and protect it from the elements. This includes certain harnesses and ropes to minimize vehicle movement and road shock.
- Enclosed auto transport carriers are used less. This is basic supply and demand, meaning that costs are higher for the carrier due to less demand.
- Enclosed auto transport carriers have to be equipped with certain outer layers to add an extra layer of security to protect the containers from the elements.
Due to the above factors, one shouldn’t just rely on an automatically-generated quote from an online formula that many auto transport companies use. Instead, one should use any instant quote as just a rough guide. The best way to find out the actual cost of enclosed auto transport is to speak to a representative and to provide your exact location details. A-1 Auto Transport offers live customer service help that will be happy to assist you in determining an accurate price BEFORE you make any commitments.
Related Information & FAQ
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory