To most people, boats are a luxury that cannot be afforded. That is the exact reason why boat owners are faced with a predicament of how to ship a boat safely to either a port, a buyer’s location or simply to their new home in another state. A single dent can cost you a fortune. Worse yet, it goes unnoticed and your precious boat takes in water, causing even more damage. Well, worry not. A-1 Auto Transport has over 25 years of experience in boat transport services. We have the best tips and advice; all you need to know about transporting your boat.
Sort your insurance out
Every responsible person knows the importance of an insurance cover. This point can’t be stressed enough, unless you wish to know the less popular meaning of BOAT, “Blow off another Thousand”. Of course, auto transport companies have freight insurance from FMCSA Insurance compliance, but you can never be too safe.
Measure your boat
A key will only fit into its designed key hole. You need to get the correct measurements of your boat before anything else. This will determine critical decisions like what shipping options are available for your boat. Really big boats may not fit into standard containers. The Boat width, height, and length, all add up to the particulars the boat movers personnel will need to calculate your quote and prepare their tools.
Do your personal research
Rome was not built in one day, and neither is shipping a boat, practically speaking. You don’t wake up one day and decide you want to transport your boat. No, it needs adequate planning, saving, and preparation. Get online and find out boat moving companies near you. The best boat moving companies are depicted by the services they offer. One simple way of picking the right shipping firm for you is the optics. Does it stand out from the rest? How does it rank in review forums? Review companies can help you on that.
Another way to filter the men from the boys in the boat moving industry is by checking their policies. Trusted movers offer GPS tracking services and are regulated by the US Department of Transportation through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Auto transport companies regulated by FMCSA are required by law to register financial obligation through an auto transport insurance policy as A-1 Auto Transport does.
Explore your shipping options
A proper auto transport company offering boat shipping services will offer different shipping options. The most common include:
- Enclosed Container – Boats are shipped in a container. This option is available for standardly sized boats. Make sure to check out if your carrier offers different sizes of containers. This is used for both inland and international boat shipping.
- Submersion – This option involves direct loading and unloading of your boat from the water. It is mostly convenient for persons living by the lakes or the coastal regions.
- Flat Rack – This is the best option for the oversized boats. The technical team comes and assesses the boat, gets the dimensions and brings over a custom cradle for shipping. The boat is then strapped onto the rack, secured, and transported.
- Overland Transport – This is boat shipping from an inland location to a port within the U.S or into another port in another country.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
For more information on the full-service boat and yacht transport services that A-1 Auto Transport offers, check out our boat shipping services.
Get a Quotation
Most boat shipping companies offer online quoting services. This is a great feature to help you budget for the actual transport. Distance, shipping option, and size of the boat, are all factors that play a role in determining the final number. A-1 Auto Transport gives a comprehensive boat transporting calculator.
Make an appointment
After taking care of all the mentioned attributes, there is nothing else left to do but to seal the deal. Contact the shipping company you have settled for through their contacts and book a shipping appointment. The actual loading, transit, and offloading are normally taken care of by the shipping crew. To book a boat shipping appointment with A-1 auto transport, simply click here to contact us.
Track your shipping
You can trust the shipping company to keep the end of their bargain. However, for peace of mind, utilize the GPS tracking services offered and watch the progress of your transit in real time. This will help you to plan better and to liaise with whoever is to pick up or receive the boat upon arrival.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- What Makes Us Better?