What is the Car and Motorcycle National Transportation Services?
When you need a car or motorcycle shipped across the country, you’ll have a few choices to make; from the company you choose to handle the shipping process to the method of transport and place of delivery. The majority of shipping services, whether car, truck, motorcycle, or oversize load, are done via ground shipping, with the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, which are generally done by boat through a process called RORO (roll on, roll off) transport. While there are many companies that offer car and motorcycle transport services, you’ll find that many differ in the level and quality of service they provide, as well as the total price you’re likely to pay.
The Advantages of Shipping Your Vehicle With Professionals
While it may be tempting in some cases to drive your car or motorcycle across the country, there are a number of potential risks involved. One of the main issues with the do-it-yourself method is that you’ll put an inordinate amount of stress on the vehicle due to the daily grind of a long cross country trip. Not only do you risk mechanical problems from the wear and tear that come with long miles and several hours per day on the road, but there’s also potential damage that can occur from the rigors of a long trip. Anything from a damaged windshield due to a small rock kicking up from the large trucks on the highways, but any accident that could occur during the trip can be costly and time consuming. If time is a factor, all the more reason to consult a professional auto transport company so that you don’t have to deal with the stress and potential reality of the scenarios mentioned above.
With a professional shipper, you can choose from several methods of shipment and rest assured that your car or motorcycle will be safely delivered without the stress of driving it yourself and without the time drain of putting in up to eight hours on the road each day. Though there are some subtle differences between how a car and a motorcycle are transported, all of them include minimal risk of damage and the high mileage that comes with driving yourself.
Like most large companies that ship vehicles nationwide, A-1 Auto Transport ships for individuals, businesses, organizations, dealerships, and manufacturers, all of whom appreciate the convenience and affordability of hiring a professional to handle the job. The main benefits of our services include the following:
- Whether car or motorcycle, one vehicle or an entire fleet, you’re safeguarded against damages in a way that you wouldn’t be otherwise.
- There’s a multitude of shipping options that include open, enclosed, door-to-door.
- Satellite tracking and real-time updates on your shipment
- A licensed car and motorcycle shipping company is required to carry at least the minimum insurance coverage on the vehicles in their care, covering you in the unlikely event of damage.
- A professional transport company, particularly the top shipping companies in the U.S., incorporate the latest industry advancements and the most modern technology in their shipping workflow.
- Car shipping experts take the shortest and safest routes to stay away from road construction, high traffic, and poor weather.
Three Popular Shipping Methods for Cars and Motorcycles
- Crated shipping is the safest form of professional transport for motorcycles. The motorcycle is placed on a wooden pallet and secured for transport and can be completely enclosed if that’s your preference. This transport method is the one most commonly used for bikes, scooters, and small ATVs.
- Open air shipping methods are the most inexpensive and common form of transport for motorcycles and cars. The vehicles are placed on an open carrier where it is safely secured for the trip. The essential difference between open and enclosed shipping is that an open air carrier leaves the vehicle exposed, both visually and physically.
- If you prefer enclosed transport, you can also have your vehicle shipped in an enclosed carrier that protects and covers it on all sides. An enclosed carrier is used most often when the vehicle has a high value or the owner is concerned about damages from weather and road debris.
Car & Motorcycle Shipping Resources
Open and Enclosed Shipping - If you have questions about which method is right for you, this web page explains the key differences outlined above, as well as other considerations you may want to take into account.
Carrier Insurance Requirements - Learn about the insurance requirements for car and motorcycles carriers. It’s important to note that, while there is a minimum requirement, some shippers do provide more coverage than others.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.